Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Do you really NEED it?  Why? >

Do you really NEED it? Why?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you really NEED it? Why?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Do you really NEED it? Why?

Bow "accessories". "Need"........or "want"?

I'll give you "need" on a rest. For most of you guys, I'll concede a sight, as well (though, it's completely optional).

What else do you "need"? Why? Has perceived bow noise been an issue for you in the past? Have you tried to mitigate the problem with a heavier arrow? Maybe turn down the #-age?

What's Needed.....and what's "for show"? Nothing wrong with either.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everything in Life is more want than need. Always has been, always will be.

Dan
Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Besides the bow and maybe a rest there is really nothing else logically that you "need" to use with archery equipement.. I would say most extras are because of want.. But with that said I don't believe that the wants are just for show.. You may want to silence your bow, so you add the additional equipement for that issue, then you may not be comfortable shooting without a sight--so once again you add one of those, you may want a peep or kisser botton to help with consistency and or for comfort, maybe you then feel that your bow may not be balancing correctly/vibration so you add a stabilizer, then you notice the benifits of a string loop compared to no loop--and you throw one on your bow, and finally you get sick of holding onto your arrows so you get a quiver to hold them.. I have shot traditionally and enjoyed it greatly but with all the advancements they now have for archery equipement, I can't help but WANT it and not for show but for performance.. I'm shooting 2" spots out to 60 yards (probably could go further but haven't tried yet) and to me that is amazing, without some of the things I have that would not be possible..
Old 03-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Dominant Buck

without some of the things I have that would not be possible..
Interesting. So is it you? No offense intended. Fair question?
Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Interesting. So is it you? No offense intended. Fair question?
Absolutely not, I have two different bows--one that I just love and don't want to get rid of and the destroyer which I just purchased.. Both of which I can do the same with as far as accuracy and distance.. When I did shoot traditionally I did just fine with no problems (there are limitations of coarse).. I shoot my bow almost daily and have done so for years.. I have won multiple tournaments and challenges as well as killed many different animals using archery equipement, its not me.. Some may be more comfortable with nothing but the bow, arrow, and rest--thats fine but I'll shoot against that person any day of the week.. People become comfortable with many different things and that is fine.. But as long as you are comfortable with what you shoot, how you shoot, and the consistency of your shooting I feel you are doing everything right..
Old 03-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Absolutely not, I have two different bows--one that I just love and don't want to get rid of and the destroyer which I just purchased.. Both of which I can do the same with as far as accuracy and distance.. When I did shoot traditionally I did just fine with no problems (there are limitations of coarse).. I shoot my bow almost daily and have done so for years.. I have won multiple tournaments and challenges as well as killed many different animals using archery equipement, its not me.. Some may be more comfortable with nothing but the bow, arrow, and rest--thats fine but I'll shoot against that person any day of the week.. People become comfortable with many different things and that is fine.. But as long as you are comfortable with what you shoot, how you shoot, and the consistency of your shooting I feel you are doing everything right..

Do you shoot at game at long distances (I'm no ethics cop....lol...so that's not why I'm asking). I'm getting back to the original question.

Thanks for that very well thought out response, BTW.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on how you define "need".
For me, I "want" my hunting bow to be as efficient as possible, because I feel that the shot should be as "automatic" as I can make it. In order for me to meet those conditions I "need" my silencers, peep, kisser, loop, release, & sight. I suppose my "need" for those things could be lessened if I had more time to spend becoming "automatic" with less crutches.
My want drives my need.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Hey...no issues with that (naturally).

Do you shoot at game at long distances (I'm no ethics cop....lol...so that's not why I'm asking). I'm getting back to the original question.

Thanks for that very well thought out response, BTW.
No, I have more respect for the animal then that.. I have never had to shoot further then 36 yards at any animal, I probably would stretch that to 40 yards--but thats it.. If I was out west I would make sure I was ready to shot out further but I think if everything is set up right their is no need to launch an arrow.. I enjoy shooting targets at all ranges to improve consintration and also for practice in regards to leagues/tournys.. Hunting and target shooting are to completely different things.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll just say, the things on my bow each have a specific function to help me be as consistant, accurate and quiet as possible. I "want" them on there for that reason. Could I shoot without them? Yes. Could I shoot WELL without them? NO.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by early in
I'll just say, the things on my bow each have a specific function to help me be as consistant, accurate and quiet as possible. I "want" them on there for that reason. Could I shoot without them? Yes. Could I shoot WELL without them? NO.
Good post, I think that is what most people would say as far as the need and or want issue..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.