Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Why do you shoot what you shoot? >

Why do you shoot what you shoot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why do you shoot what you shoot?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Browning Vanguard LX because a friend of mine gave me a Browning Backdraft for parts and I decided to send it back to the factory to have it repaired. They informed me that it was still under warranty as asked if I'd take the Vanguard LX as a replacement. It cost me nothing. Before that, I shot a Martin Cougar II for 23 years and still have it as a backup.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile Katera

I just got a Hoyt Katera on the advice of a friend who has shot a ton of bows, and does setup and repair work at a pro shop. He says they shoot and perform great and hold up much better than many other popular bows. Also have a few Frankenbows that I put together after having limb issues. I really like them, and after getting the Katera, I realize my Frankenbows are also very nice.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by AR Bowhunter
I am wondering why you shoot the brand of bow that you shoot. Do you have a reason other than a simple choice of " That's what I like."

I shoot Mathews brand because of the the string roller. I started that about 8 years ago.

One evening I was setting in the stand an a doe worked her way too me. It was one of those dead quite evenings. You know what I am talking about.

She heard the slide on my bow when I drawed on her. An, that was it. That's when I switched brands.
AR, Bows are a very personal choice. I have shot bow models from several brands over the 40 plus years I've been involved in Archery.

Obviously just because you, or Bob, or Joe like or don't like a bow does Not mean that I will like or Not like that same Bow. I have and always will go to great lengths to find the bow that feels best in my hands. In 03 I bought a Mathews, High Country, 2- Hoyts, and 2- BowTechs. After shooting them for 4 to 6 weeks I started weeding them out and ended up keeping the BowTech Pat Dually.

Last Year I spent a lot of Time shooting a Reezen 7.0, a Monster, Hoyt Alphamax, and most of the BowTech models. Some left quick, and one bow hung around for several weeks before I decided the Captain was the best choice for me.

There are several of us guys on BowTech's Corporate Staff and through the last few years we rarely agree on what is the best Bow in BowTech's line. That's why they make so many models, and why there are so many brands.

A lot of the time bow choice may have to do with what's available in your area or what a dealer you really like carries.

There are a lot of good choices out there, my choices are Always based on how that bow feels in MY hand but my choice does Not end there. I want a company that I believe in and trust, and everybody else should as well.

There are Not many bad choices out there today. Find what fits You the best and enjoy the great sport of Archery!! Nobody can or should choose your bow for you.

As a loyal BowTech supporter I always urge people to try the Bows, and find out what fits you best.

On an ending note. If a bow had a cable slide and it made noise I would just replace the slide with the Hyper Glide Slide and end that problem. If I liked everything about the Bow that is.

Dan

Last edited by MeanV2; 03-11-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started shooting Mathews bows 10-12 years ago and to date I can't find a reason to try anything else. I love the way that they work for me and now my pro shop has put me on thier staff so the cheaper price doesn't hurt.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I like a bow that sits dead in the hand, no roll forward or backward with a decent brace height.My 04 justice sits dead in hand plus it forgives me when my form isnt perfect.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a MATHEWS SWITCHBACK XT because it's the BEST bow that I have ever owned.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Spike

I shoot a PSE X-Force and the reason I bought it was that the short brace height and the fact that the let off only takes over for the very last little bit of the draw helps the fact that I have a rather short draw length. Although these two attributes also make the bow quite a bit less forgiving I have been shooting archery for close to 15 years now and my mechanics are solid enough to make up for it and I can shoot it very accurately. I would definenty not advise this bow for a begging archer but if you have solid shooting mechanics it is a great way to get more speed with a shorter draw length.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Dominant Buck

After taking twenty-one whitetails and a turkey in 3 seasons, I needed to up the challenge.

That's why I switched to traditional tackle in 2009.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jag-mag
I like a bow that sits dead in the hand, no roll forward or backward with a decent brace height.My 04 justice sits dead in hand plus it forgives me when my form isnt perfect.
thats a big issue with me to pry the only reason i havnt got a new bow yet the new bows just dont seem sit in my hand the way my ar will .
Old 03-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a 2004 Reflex Excursion because that is what I could afford in 2005. All I need is to swap out the string every year or two and I am set. If I can shoot it out to 30 yards I feel just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.