Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Guided Hunts??  Where's the trophy? >

Guided Hunts?? Where's the trophy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guided Hunts?? Where's the trophy?

Old 01-29-2002, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Guided Hunts?? Where's the trophy?

wolfen we almost agree on something!!! I agree with you 100% that a buck you have done all the work for is far more of an accomplishment and trophy than one that a guide put you on.

I will also agree that to me and a lot of others when you have a guide do everything except shoot the game for you it is no real trophy in my book.

Okay here is where we differ, I live on the east coast and if I had the cash to spare I would love to go on a mule deer hunt, but if you are knowledgeable about Mule deer and where they are you would know that just like the whitetail we hunt that it takes a lot of different things to harvest one:

1. Place to hunt.

2. Time to properly scout and set up stands.

3. Time to hunt.

Now I would not have a problem with spending my money to hire a guide that would take me to hunt Mulie as long as it was not what I call a "Hand Held Hunt".

I do not own any property in Mulie country, nor do I have the 3-4 weeks to properly scout an area and hang stands preseason. As a result of this I would have no problem with paying a guide as long as I was provided with the land to hunt, a good briefing from the guide as to the movement of the Mulies in the area I was to hunt and a good idea of the areas that would be likely to at least give me a peek at a good size Mulie.

Would I hunt anything fenced, baited, or garuanteed? NO! I will not knock anyone who hires a guide and if they want to view it as thier trophy, so be it. I will admit it torques my jaw when I hear someone claiming to be the great hunter when you know they made thier kill in a fenced, baited, or garuanteed situation.

The Tazman
Old 01-29-2002, 11:23 AM

For me there is nothing more memorable and satisfying than doing the leg work myself. From locating a specific animal, to scouting him, hopefully finding his sheds and then hunting him. I have harvested a couple bucks over the years in which I have many sheds from and many days logged in scouting him. All of which have been on public ground. I really have no interest in hunting with an outfitter, one being,I cant find any justification in spending 3 grand on a deer. Are you kidding me? I dont care if I could shoot the world record. No thanks, thats not my motivation for hunting. I am sure most of you would say "yeah right" but truthfully, If I ever am blessed to scout and hunt a world class animal, I want it to be one I have put a lot of time in on and worked for. Second, I am lucky to live in a state that has many big game species. Elk, Deer (mule and whitetail), bear, turkey, mountain lion all in ear shot of my backyard. I do understand why people pay to hunt out of state for species they have no access too otherwise. But I have access, so I will keep my money and hunt at home. I would hunt Montana or Washington my neighboring states if I had access to land I could scout in the offseason and hunt it in the fall. I would enjoy meeting people this way and maybe even trading a hunt. I would enjoy scouting with someone else in a different state, learning from them about their habitat and critter behavior. Then returning the favor in my neck of the woods. That would be great, I think I would get as much satisfaction in helping someone else take an animal as I would myself. Paying the out of state fees is about all I would want to spend on any big game animal. Currently my brother and law and I are scouting a specific buck, a big typical in his area about 40 miles from where I live. He invited me to hunt this deer with him next fall. He doesnt bow hunt, so I will have first crack at him before the Novembers any weapons season opens. I am excited about the possibilities, we are currently treading lightly while looking for his sheds and backtracking his travel routes and bedding areas. We have been watching him since he showed up in late November, after we had filled our tags. He seemed to have moved into the area after a few of the dominant bucks in the area where harvested this fall. He is a magnificant creature, grey in the face, sway backed, deep chested and heavy, very majestic and old. We call him the "foggy hollow buck" since we first saw him there at foggy hollow crossing the road in our headlights. At 10 yards he almost hit the side of Robs truck. We where worried he would get poached, but we believe he made it. Rob last saw him on Jan 12 still packing his headgear and as healthy as ever. This is why I hunt whitetails, not the kill but "everything" that leads up to a possible shot at such an old veteran buck.

IHW,
Shed
Old 01-29-2002, 12:02 PM

I was lucky enough to have a guide for my first several years of hunting. I didn't always get one but I had a heck of a time on those guided hunts. And when the time comes, hopefully I will be lucky enough to take my own kids hunting. Not everyone was as luck as me to have a father that would guide me in the ways of hunting. For them a professionaly guided hunt might be just the ticket to get into a great sport. Please don't judge someone until you know all of the facts behind their choice for taking a guided hunt.
Old 01-29-2002, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

BulletBob brought up a great point. As I completely disagree with Ranch / fenced in / no fair chase hunting, I personally have no problem with semi-guided / guided hunts in fair chase opportunities.

BulletBob's point can be used for fishing just as well as hunting. If you want to increase your odds and learn a completely different area / environment; hiring a guide to learn is a great way for people to learn areas as well as techniques in a quick amount of time so they can utilize those areas and techniques on their own.

This post has brought up good issues, feelings, and opinions to all sides of this topic.
Old 01-29-2002, 02:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-29-2002, 02:51 PM

[greenCOME TO HUNT!!!! AT DEADLY DYLAN'S OUTFITTING ALBERTA.[/green]ahahahaha

>>>>--------o-->
Old 01-31-2002, 06:32 AM

When the time comes for the shot it doesn;t matter if you are on a guided hunt or not. You either make the shot or you don't. Either way it is still a trophy! I can't fault the guy who works hard all year and does't have time to scout and just wants to harvest a deer.
Old 01-31-2002, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

When I pay to go hunting in IA. or ILL. I'm basicly paying to hunt on private land, get fed, and for a place to sleep. After the first morning I'm usually on my own. I like to set my own stands in what I think is the best tree. Anything I harvest I feel good about. The biggest trophy is the fun people I meet at these camps. There is always one guy that will make you laugh your butt off. When I'm old and can't draw my bow, I'll probably be so broke I can't pay attention, but I know I will be rich with memories and in my mind every guided hunt I went on would have been worth it!
Old 01-31-2002, 02:58 PM

I have a buddy who has been bowunting for years and never took a buck with a bow. Although he wasn't hardcore due to work and wife he really wanted to take a buck.
I set him up in one of my stands and he took a buck his second trip.
He was the happiest hunter I have ever seen. It didn't matter that he did not scout or set up the stand or pick the tree. He pulled the bow back he made the shot he found it he dragged it back and he mounted it.

He still smiles when he thinks about it.

You can't convince me that his buck is not a trophy.