HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   VORTEX BROADHEADS!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/31904-vortex-broadheads.html)

Drakes1st 06-18-2003 09:29 AM

VORTEX BROADHEADS!!!

I am a current user of these broadheads, and am wondering if anyone else likes them as much as I do? I use the 125 gr. original and I am amazed at the cutting diameter that they put on a deer. I strongly recomend them to anyone who is not satisfied with there current broadhead.

Stickemup 06-18-2003 11:50 AM

RE: VORTEX BROADHEADS!!!

Yep. I' ve used the 3 blade, 2 inch cut 100 grainers since they hit the market eight or ten years ago. I' ve killed about fifteen or so deer with them and one very large black bear. I' ve only had a few of those deer make it out of sight of the stand. I clipped the bear' s spine and didn' t get a passthrough, but it still got both lungs. He made it about a hundred and fifty yards. I' ve gotten complete passthroughs on every shot unless I hit bone. I' ve also shot the same head through multiple deer. They are also getting to be one of the lower priced heads out there. I haven' t even looked at another broadhead in years.

Drakes1st 06-19-2003 04:33 PM

Man I think these broadheads are some of the best out there..... I have been using them for about seven years and I' ve taken several deer and a couple of hogs with them.... I have a couple of deer kills on film... one of them is a doe my brother shot at about 12 steps and man what-a-cut it put on that dude... it wasn' t a clean pas through, although the arrow did penatrate both shoulders and fell out when she took off running, I bet the hole in her shoulder was as big as a softball, we shoot the 125gr it has a2-3/4 inch cut diameter one of the biggest on the market and it is awesome.......GIVE ONE A TRY....... you won' t regret it.

buck-i 06-19-2003 10:24 PM

i use the two blade 100 grain 2 inch cut love these heads.never had one fail.best head i' ve used.

5 shot 06-20-2003 03:34 AM

If you have the KE to push them through they are an excellent mechanical head. I was impressed with the quality and preformance of the one I tested.

Jason N 06-20-2003 05:35 AM

I used them for several years with excellent results. However, I got a funny hair one day and decided to have my attempt at taming fixed blades at high speeds. Thunderheads perform well too, but I will never hesitate to put a Vortex on the end of an arrow. I' ve used both the 125 and 100 grain two blade heads, but have never used any of the 3 blade heads.

5shot is right on with the KE! [8D] You really need a lot of energy to open those huge blades up. Aside from that, the blades may seem flimsy but my opinion is the extreme length is to blame.

Stickemup 06-20-2003 06:38 AM

Jason,
The blades may seem flimsy, but I can assure you they are not. They are made of spring steel which will flex instead of breaking and they are .032 inches thick. These are some of the thickest blades on the market and have been for ten years. I' ve bent some ferrules on bone, but have never broken a blade. They will cut through ribs without any damage whatsoever. I' ve even buried these heads directly into the backbone (not intentionally) and they have come out perfectly unharmed. The things are tough as nails.

On the penetration issue. I would say, you need a minimum of 60 ft-lbs of KE and a very well tuned bow to get maximum performance, but another very large factor is blade sharpness. Those long blades need to be absolutely positively sharp enough to shave a baby' s butt. No exceptions. The only difference between these heads and any other head is that the blades are longer, so it only stands to reason that the only difference in penetration will come from pushing those long blades through. Get them shaving sharp and they zip through a deer like he' s made of vapor. Make a good shot and you' ll most likely watch him go down. My kind of blood trail.

It' s still a mystery to me why more people with higher KE setups don' t shoot these heads. Every deer I' ve killed with them were out of a ten year old PSE 2050Z set at 61 lbs and 29 inch draw with ACC 360' s and GT 5575' s. Not exactly a huge amount of KE and some of my arrows have been buried in the ground on the other side of the deer. You just can' t ask for much more out of a broadhead and now you can get a 3 pack for twenty bucks. That' s way cheaper than many of the fixed blade heads.