HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Muzzy Broadhead Sharpness (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/31855-muzzy-broadhead-sharpness.html)

miked1 06-17-2003 04:35 PM

Muzzy Broadhead Sharpness

Like a lot of people on this forum I must confess that I am a broadhead junkie and I have found a number of broadheads that I can live with. Like most hunters here I have tried Muzzy' s. As much as I like their interlocking blades and their flight characteristics I remain puzzled as to, what appears to me, Muzzy' s lack of attention to blade sharpness. In all respects, this is a quality head and design except for blade sharpness. Compared to Rocky Mountain, NAP, and many other manufacturers, Muzzy blades seem relatively less sharp to me. Basically, this distills down to a confidence issue for me because, like everyone else, I want to shoot the sharpest blades I can. Your comments as to whether this is imagined on my part or if you think that the apparent lack of relative sharpness is even an issue to consider, would be appreciated.

5 shot 06-17-2003 06:08 PM

RE: Muzzy Broadhead Sharpness

Muzzy has improved the blade sharpness over the last year. Even before that I found them " sharp enough" The new heads are better yet, but I do agree they do not compare with those of say Rocky Mtn, or steel force. If a head will shave hair off my arm I am satisfied.

elknut1 06-17-2003 06:08 PM

Muzzys are plenty sharp as far as I' m concerned. Never had any trouble with them yet. All I know is they' ll cut you if you' re not careful.

Indians killed critters with sharpened rocks, muzzys are a site better. elknut1

Mountain Cur 06-17-2003 06:26 PM

That' s exactly why I switched to wasp' s sst' s about 3 years ago.

ijimmy 06-17-2003 07:05 PM

I' ve gott' n passthrus on hogs with muzzy' s so they cant be all that bad . Last year one of the deer I killed had a broken off mechanical blade in his leg , dont think that will happen with a muzzy .

Sq2Hunter 06-17-2003 07:43 PM

I have not had any problems with muzzys....i have used them right out of the box with awesome results. I do know that some guys sharpen them before they will hunt with them though.

Two Beards 06-17-2003 08:21 PM

Muzzy' s are a quality BH, and the blade sharpness
was never a concern, nor a problem either. However,
I believe I' ll be back with my trusty old Wasp' s
this fall. Gonna give the " Boss" a try, just a smaller
version of the SST.

Cougar Mag 06-17-2003 11:13 PM

I have never had a new Muzzy blade unable to shave hair on my arm....thats sharp enough.

benhuntin 06-18-2003 03:56 AM

The newer ones do seem to hold an edge better. I always touch up my muzzys with a tru angle broadhead sharpener a couple of times each season. Broadheads can dull slightly over time just sitting in a quiver.
I have never had a muzzy blade that wasnt razor sharp right out of the package.

dsheally 06-18-2003 04:21 AM

That is the main reason I don' t hunt with them. I want a scapel sharp broadhead
and is why I shoot Thunderheads. Just imagine if Muzzy could get them as sharp
as NAP broadheads. What a great broadhead they would be.