Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
deer question???? >

deer question????

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

deer question????

Old 02-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Spike

Default deer question????

Okay, Most people that manage deer always talk about taking the bucks out of the gene pool and aren't wanted. But i was wondering lets say a buck with great genetics breeds a doe and that doe then has two fawns the following spring with both of those are of course carrying those "good" genetics. So the following rut those two does get breed by bucks that arent so great within the genetic pool.. Are those two does genetics able to produce big bucks because their "dad" had great genetics even though they were breed by a buck with not so good genetics or do the "not so good" genetics from the buck that bread them overseed the "good" genetics of the does? This question may be confusing and dumb but i was just curious
Old 02-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Breeding any type of animals is really complicated and you can get throw backs from generations behind the parents. Even breeding with domesticated animals where you know the pedigrees back several generations it is still a challenge to get what you want.

IMO that type of breeding in wild deer is all but impossible. The best thing you can do is try to keep buck/doe ratios and numbers correct, and let the Bucks get some age on them.

That's one thing Trophy deer have in common. They have a little age on them

Dan
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with mean on this one. It doesn't matter how good the gene pool is if you never let the young bucks walk and reach their potential. Heck you could have a whole herd of Hanson bucks but if you don't give them time to reach their potential you will never know exactly what you have.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gene Pool Bucks

Originally Posted by palmergt3
I agree with mean on this one. It doesn't matter how good the gene pool is if you never let the young bucks walk and reach their potential. Heck you could have a whole herd of Hanson bucks but if you don't give them time to reach their potential you will never know exactly what you have.
I totally agree! Let 'em go and watch 'em grow.......
Old 03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Spike

Theoretically, yes, does play just as big a role in offspring genetics as the bucks do. However, genetics is an incredibly complex subject. I've taken college courses and read textbooks on the matter, and it's still way above me. I agree with everyone else, don't worry yourself with genetics, just let every buck grow to its potential.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

A deer needs three things to become a "trophy", age, nutrition, and age.......
Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Spike

Thanks for the comments. In no way am i worried about controlling the genetics of the deer herd i hunt because i dont have the land nor the resources to do it, i am a firm believer of let em go and let em grow but i was just curious on the complexity of genetics and from what it looks like it is very complex haha
Old 03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

i think they get to carried away with "poor genetics". alot of poor antlers can come from injury, nutrition, and other environmental stressors. As far as i know, dna doesnt change as you age. so why do they shoot good bucks that "are past their prime"? they will still be passing on the same traits. I dunno. i dont get it, i think a lot of it is an excuse to shoot a deer. I understand shooting bucks with deformed antlers, although id bet a lot of them came from injuries, therefore not affecting their dna. I think it is just a crap shoot. Like everyone else said, AGE is THE most important factor.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think a lot of so called "trophy hunters" use the term "cull buck" as an excuse to shoot a buck smaller than what they run their mouths about all the time. However, this is just my $.02
Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Spike

very true, esp in these hunting shows that are always on t.v.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.