Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
iDEAS ABOUT SCENT FREE >

iDEAS ABOUT SCENT FREE

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

iDEAS ABOUT SCENT FREE

Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Bartender

I'm with you on this HB.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just finished readin that link..and thats real interesting...how they can use the sterile pad and stuff...and the ground breaking where you walk able to be smelt is cool, but makes sense .....like sturin up pot-pouri ..i dunno if i spelled this right but my ol lady burn roses and stuff in a pot and makes the house smell like a rose bomb went off that supposed to cover 9000 sf and my house is a mere fraction of that....the pot pori isnt all that strong after it sits fer a bit...but if ya stir it up it gets around..sheww-weee

Originally Posted by fshafly2
This is the core of my "obsession" on scent control.

For you skeptics, just check out some of the websites that discuss how bloodhounds and tracking dogs detect and follow humans (e.g. http://www.napwda.com/tips/index.phtml?id=24). It's not a leap of faith to figure out that deer are doing the same thing, since dogs and deer share a common evolutionary ancestor. Skin cell shedding is just one of the reasons carbon suits are a waste of money, imho.

Just to expand a bit, you shed your skin every 28 days - which means you are shedding ~1000 skin cells a second. When I shower just before hunting, I "exfoliate" my skin - I try to remove those cells that would normally be shed over the next several hours. You can find exfoliation brushes and washcloths in the women's skin care section of the local drug store. I wash/scrub with a "hunter's soap", and follow with another wash using baking soda as a mild abrasive. Just don't over do it!

You can't stop skin shedding any more than you can stop being human. You still need to play the wind. But you may have an advantage over your fellow hunters who don't know or don't want to bother...

-fsh
Old 02-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Spike

That is really helpfull, I am definetly skipping steps that I need to do. I would like to add that when you take your scent free shower and exfoliation. Use a towl that has been washed in scent free detergent.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Spike

This really should be a sticky so people can always read this.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:00 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I add a couple more steps.

When washing hunting clothes I also wash a few pairs of drawers, sweat pants, T shirts, socks and towels and store them in scent free containers. After the shower I dry off with the scent free towel and then wear the scent free sweat pants and t shirt driving to hunt. I change into my hunting clothes before going to the stand.

I always figured it didn't do a whole lot of good to shower in the scent free stuff and then dry off with a towel loaded with detergent and fabric softener and then put on clothes that smell the same.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Mez and Markmon good call on the towels I have a couple of hunting buddies that say they are scent control minded in every step they do and they have the sealed clothes that were dried outside from a pine tree and shower every time but I have always seen them walk to the linen closet and grab their towel they are going to use after they take their shower. But I would have to say the thing that cracks me up the most are the guys that go out and spend all the money on scent lock suits and then wear them to bass pro or cabelas!!!!! that is a classic!!!! Oh and mez hope you are watching the draft to watch Sue go #1!!!!

GO BIG RED!!!!!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

did a lil update..what i miss?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you take scent control to the max but you stated [i spray my bow the night before and
leave my bow in a tree upwind from us and downwind of nature, its saturated from the dew sometimes] there is no way i am leaving my bow in a tree if i am not there
Old 02-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Or you could just play the wind.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

Right. I certainly agree that one should do everything in his power to limit scent and I like your analysis of human "skin shedding," especially the rice analogy. However, a lot of my personal observations fly in the face of conventional wisdom concerning human scent and the control thereof. I think scent control is an important factor. But I don't think it is the only factor for success.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.