Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Would you buy without shooting first? >

Would you buy without shooting first?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you buy without shooting first?

Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Geronimo
Tell me about this"bow X"

What do you want to know? It is a shooter, I have shot it many times and really like the way it shoots. If I was in the market for another bow, it would be on my list.

No matter the maker, the question is, have you drank enough kool-aid to buy your favorite brand's new bow before you shoot it and based on nothing but reviews?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

No matter the maker, the question is, have you drank enough kool-aid to buy your favorite brand's new bow before you shoot it and based on nothing but reviews?
When you can order your new bow to your EXACT specs.....it makes that kool-aid a lot sweeter.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
When you can order your new bow to your EXACT specs.....it makes that kool-aid a lot sweeter.
I understand what you are saying about your trad bows Jeff, but we both know we are talking about the bows with training wheels on them yet and those bows don't always live up to their specs
Old 02-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to know who makes it and is there a website? Thanks...
Old 02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Geronimo
I want to know who makes it and is there a website? Thanks...
Yeah there is a web site, it is one of big 4. I don't want to name brands. It is not about who makes the exact bow I am talking about. It could be a Hoyt, Mathews, BT, or PSE, they all have their fanboys that run out and buy their brand new bows before ever shooting it, because it is made by "their" company.

I am a huge fan of Hoyt bows and I always seem to find one every year that I like. However, I don't like every one that comes out every year. I only know this because I took the time to shoot everyone, every year
Old 02-25-2010, 03:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I normally try to shoot the bow 1st, but since I've always bought bows at dealer cost I have bought them without shooting, but that does Not mean I will keep it as my personal bow.

If I was buying retail, No way!

It does show that advertising, endorsements, etc really work. I have guys ask me every year what I am going to shoot and they'll order one. The Best Bow for me may Not be the Best bow for You so IMHO you should always shoot several models.

Dan
Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
I don't want anyone to think this is a brand or fanboy bashing post, so I will not post brand names.

The shop I shoot for had a booth at the St. Louis Deer Classic this past weekend and I helped with the show.

We sold EVERY "bow x" we had in inventory and were having to beat people off of it. Now this bow is not the same brand I shoot, but I have shot it and I really like the way it shoots. However, I was surprised stupid with the number of people that were dropping $940 on this bow and had never shot one to see if THEY like the way it shoots. In fact, one guy that bought was told me that his deciding factor was the reviews it was receiving on AT.
So with that being said, would you buy a bow based on nothing more than specs, reviews, and marketing?

I have done this one time in my life and hated everything about the bow once I got it in my hands. After that, I have always shot a bow, multiple times, and normally side-by-side other bows to see if it is really is "THE" bow for me.
From what I read here there is one bow that I know that is that price and thats the Bowtech Destroyer... If it was jumping of the shelves then I'm quess it was either the Destroyer or the Mathews z7, the Z7 is carrying around a 800-850 price tag.. SOOO with the process of elimination it has to the destroyer.. AND yes its worth every penny!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by diamondrack
From what I read here there is one bow that I know that is that price and thats the Bowtech Destroyer... If it was jumping of the shelves then I'm quess it was either the Destroyer or the Mathews z7, the Z7 is carrying around a 800-850 price tag.. SOOO with the process of elimination it has to the destroyer.. AND yes its worth every penny!
I love the fact that so many are worried about what the exact bow I am talking about is.

It was the Z7 and it is a great shooting bow for sure. My point to the post was not if a bow, any bow, is worth the retail price or not. I like the way the Destroyer shoots, I like the way the Z7 shoots. I know I like the way both of these bows shoots because I have taken the time to actually shoot both of these bows. I even had to go to a rival shop to shoot the Destroyer because we don't carry BT.

That is the WHOLE point, go shoot these bows. There are a bunch of very good bows on the market and you might surprise yourself with what bow you choose AFTER shooting a bunch of them.

I would love to take two bows from the 2011 line up from EVERY company out there. Blind fold people and have them shoot them every one of them and then have them rate each bow. I think people would be amazed. I am not saying that a BT, Mathews, Hoyt or any other fanboy would hate their "chosen" brand, but I know some eyes would be opened for sure.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously, shooting a bow first before you buy is preferred but I have found that a lot of dealers are reluctant to setup a bow (especially left handed) to test shoot.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

If im buying new heck ya i wanna shoot it first. But if i were to buy used like off of AT or something then i obviously cant shoot it but it dosent matter cause it can always be sold again.