HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   FLX Gaurd (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/317758-flx-gaurd.html)

mez 02-19-2010 10:20 AM

FLX Gaurd

Bowtech guys, is this a gimmick? Having a hard time understanding the marketing with the new FLX Gaurd. From the website they make a big deal of how this removes the problem of torque from traditional roller gaurds.

If the above is true why isn't the FLX on all the models with roller gaurds? Seems like a contradiction to me.

Asking as I have an 09 Sentinel that I can't get to broadhead tune. Now the Sentinel comes out with the new FLX gaurd and am wondering if there is a torque issue with last years model? Talked to several guys with Captains and they have no issues, Captain doesn't have the FLX gaurd this year. Have also talked to others that have had tuning issues with the 09 Sentinal.

treestandsnyper 02-19-2010 02:12 PM

Sounds like you answered your own question...they had issues with certain bows and for 2010 added the FLX guard to help fix those issues. The Captain obviously didn't have the issues as the Admiral and Sentinal, so they left the standard roller guard on it. I know my Admiral FLX has no issues whatsoever, and tuned very easily. Can't speak for the 09 models, but this 2010 with the FLX guard works perfectly.

MeanV2 02-19-2010 02:37 PM

Many had No problems tuning the Center Pivot bows with the standard roller guard, but there obviously were a few.

The FLX will make these bows tunable for the masses and even more precise arrow flight possible for everyone. If you talk to as many as I do you will find that there were those few that had tuning issues with the Sentinel, Admiral, and also the Captain, but the biggest percentage did Not.

I owned, shot, hunted with, and tagged animals with both the Captain and the Sentinel. There were as easy to tune as any Bow I have ever shot if not more so. For those that had issues I would say the FLX will be a great aid in getting the bows to shoot and tune great for Them.

My Captain obviously does Not have the FLX, but even if the 2010 had the FLX I doubt I would upgrade as there is No way the bow could have tuned any easier or shoot any better for Me than it does.

I shot the Captain side by side with a Mathews Monster, Mathews Reezen 6.5, and a Hoyt AlphaMax. While the Alphamax was really a very nice Bow and shot great for me. I felt the Captain was a touch better for me in a few areas, both very Nice bows indeed!

Dan

mez 02-19-2010 02:51 PM

My old Black Knight II tuned easier than this Sentinel.

One of the shops I use has had most all of the Sentinels they sold traded back in already. Mostly for a Captain. Don't know about the Admiral but don't think this is an isolated problem for me with the Sentinel.

I'm going to keep playing with it for a while but don't want to have to buy a new bow to deal with a torque issue.

Rob/PA Bowyer 02-19-2010 03:22 PM

Mez,

It's not isolated to you and your Sentinel. Some had/has issues, some don't and I'm not sure if it's how different we all hold our bows. I have an Admiral that is tuned right down the center but for others, the bows are tuning inside center in the 09 line. My friend and our board member, Jawshooter has an 09 Sentinel which he loves but it tuned inside center and he said to me, "that's where she likes to tune and she shoots incredibly well but it is what it is". Since then, he put a shoot through on it and him and Rick James (Matt) said it shoots better than ever. With that, Rick James bought a 2010 Sentinel with the FLX Guard and won't put a shoot through on it. The FLX Guard is no gimmick, it doe work and serves the purpose shown in the video. Unfortunately, the FLX doesn't fit the 09 riser as the risers were changed in the 2010 models. I read if they don't tune inside, they like a weak spine but I can't say for sure. Again, I read it so ...

PABuck_HNTR 02-19-2010 03:39 PM

Rob can confirm that my 09 Admiral had no tuning issues. I almost beat him at the GTG with it.:barmy:

bigcountry 02-19-2010 04:06 PM

Just my luck I guess. Thanks all for the candid information.

Just for information, my sentinel paper tuned and bare shaft tuned fine. I did have to push the rest a little towards the riser. But no clearance issues.

GMMAT 02-19-2010 04:47 PM

My old Black Knight II tuned easier than this Sentinel.
LOL, Mez!:s2:

How ya been?

mez 02-19-2010 05:35 PM

Been good you?

I wasn't kidding with that statement. I can't get BH's within 4 inches of my FP's past 20 yards. I shot expandables this year because of the issue. Some old NAP Spitfires that I had in my box.

GMMAT 02-19-2010 05:47 PM

I have NO IDEA, but wouldn't that mean it was out of spec? Knowing you, I think you've done all you can. In other words....can it be made to stay in spec? Did you buy it, new?

I've been great. Good to see your name on here, but hate you're having the issues.