HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Lightest pull weight for deer hunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/317666-lightest-pull-weight-deer-hunting.html)

GaryO 02-18-2010 04:06 AM

Lightest pull weight for deer hunting?

What would you folks suggest for the lower limit of pull-weight for deer hunting. Here in Missouri there is no pull weight limitations. Due to physical limitations I need to re-evaluate my equiptment. I shoot a 31 inch draw. Thanks...

YooperMike 02-18-2010 04:52 AM

Most states require a 40# minimum, so anything over that is legal. My advice would be to shoot as much weight as you can comfortably shoot, above 40.

Schultzy 02-18-2010 05:10 AM

When I was a youngster at 12 years old I was pulling 40lbs back with a brand new 1985 Martin Lynx compound. I can't remember for sure If I got any complete pass throughs but I do know for sure I got 2 holes every time. The compounds of today are much more powerful then what I was using so there's no doubt 35 to 40lbs Is plenty to get the job done. Many states have dropped the mininum draw weight from 40 to 35 pounds because of the advancements In compounds today.

diamondrack 02-18-2010 05:35 AM

My 9 year old son is pulling 27# right now and shooting great, I hope to get him increased to around 32-34# before this upcoming fall.. My cousins daughter killed her first deer last year at 20 yards shooting 30#, and a friend of mine daughter shoot a nice deer this year shooting only 30#.. They both got great penatration for the poundage they are shooting.. I was actually extreemly surprised by it.. It al depends on where you hit the deer, if your in the boiler maker it doesn't take much for penatration..

kickin_buck 02-18-2010 06:07 AM

The key to hunting with low poundage is having a well tuned bow, good sharp broadheads (not expandable), and shot placement.

Here in Illinois, to be legal, you must draw at least 40lbs. With the right setup, 40lbs is more than enough dw to get the job done on a deer.

halfbakedi420 02-18-2010 06:22 AM

A bow (or even arrow) does not deliver "pounds" to the target. Fortunately, I do understand the question you are trying to ask. There is no "magic" draw weight, as has been said -- it has far more to do with proper shot placement and arrow / broadhead penetration.

Mojotex 02-18-2010 09:29 AM

Ala. archery regs : Long bow, recurve, compound minimum peak draw 35#.

ahunter55 02-18-2010 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Legal limit works. make sure your Bow is tuned & I go 1 size bigger for my daughter, kids that hunt with low pouindage-more mass arrow weight for penetration-we don't worry about speed, just getting the proper distance & shot angle.
40#s will do fine. Shot placement & lmit distance of shots. My kids shoot 25 & under.
Family members have killed 2 Bucks, 1 spike & 1 8 point with 35#s in Ws. 8 point in Ill. with 40#s, complete penetration, 3 blade Broadhead. All shoot 3 blade fixed blades.

Agree with Kickin Buck.

This is a pic of daughter with a est. 1000# Buffalo taken at 25 yds. with 1 arrow & 48#s...

rankbull 02-18-2010 10:35 AM

With today's technology you don't need nearly as much power. my girlfriend is shooting her Bowtech Equalizer at 40lb right now. We are going on a hog hunt in May going to try and get her to 45lbs. All about shot placement and picking the proper broadhead.

MeanV2 02-18-2010 10:52 AM

Most states minimum weight range is 35# to 40# Which is plenty.

Dan