HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Are you an archer or a bowhunter? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/317123-you-archer-bowhunter.html)

grizzly 2 02-10-2010 07:07 PM

Are you an archer or a bowhunter?

I would probably never have brought this up except I just read someones signature block that said: An "Archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect, a BOWHUNTER tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his!

How many can say they are archers

How many can say they are bowhunters

How many can't seperate the two and claim to be both.

Let's do an unofficial pole.

I'm also a little curious if equipment choice affects this. How many compound shooters consider themselves archers? Is it an old dieing term? I'm not sure if the signature block intended a slur of archers by only capitalizing bowhunters. It almost appears so, but I don't really know.

I consider myself both. In my heart of hearts I enjoy my recurves more than my Mathews which I bought out of necessity when arthiritus didnt allow me to control the string anymore. Although I will say that compound sure impresses me with it's accuracy from 40 out to 80 yards. I think the arrow is up in the air long enough for me to feel that thrill of watching it fly.

GMMAT 02-10-2010 07:33 PM

Bowhunting IS archery.

Now...if you want to talk about TARGET archery .....then I'd just say that target archery and bowhunting are mutually exclusive endeavors.

I consider myself a bowhunter....that enjoys target archery.

my7pointmonster 02-10-2010 08:00 PM

I claim archery hunter for myself becuase situations change and I adapt to them.

Ryan.

cwanty03 02-10-2010 08:41 PM

bowhunter!!!!!!!!!! if had 2 make a choice

AR Bowhunter 02-10-2010 10:53 PM

I am a bowhunter, its awesome to be 15' over the top of the back of a mature whitetail looking down on him watching him breathe an he doesn't know that anyone is around.

peakrut 02-11-2010 02:54 AM

Bowhunter!

diamondrack 02-11-2010 03:36 AM

I would say bowhunter

MeanV2 02-11-2010 04:08 AM

I am a Bowhunter that Loves to shoot and experiment with all sorts of equipment.

As a Bowhunter my objective is to Kill the Game I am after by any legal means. Everyone should always know their range limitations and stay within that effective range. I have killed Big game with Trad gear, and with Compounds. I have killed Game at ranges from 3 yards to 84 yards, although my average kill shot for over a hundred animals would be under 20 yards I am sure.

Many things determine an unethical shot besides how many yards that animal is from you, and unfortunately many animals are lost every year due to an unethical shot that was attempted at under 25 yards.

I started Bowhunting with the object of reaching my personal goals and will continue to hunt for those reasons. I think target archery is Fun and everyone should try it. If I lived in an area where there were more opportunities I still might shoot for Fun. A long trip to go shoot somewhere gets old and takes $$. Especially when I can get together with a group of guys and shoot in the back yard up to 100 yards if we want to.

Dan

YooperMike 02-11-2010 05:06 AM

For me, I started aas a pure bowhunter, only shooting in order to be just proficient enough to kill an animal. Now, I'm still a bowhunter, but I enjoy target archery as well, especially 3D. By learning to really just enjoy shooting, that has helped me immensely in hunting situations with having the confidence to know that I can make the shot. Target archery, (redneck gold as GMMAT's friends called it) in the sense of scopes, umbrellas, and 4' stabs is not akin to bowhunting in any stretch of the imagination though, in my opinion at least.

kwilson16 02-11-2010 05:16 AM

Well Said!

Originally Posted by YooperMike (Post 3574539)
For me, I started aas a pure bowhunter, only shooting in order to be just proficient enough to kill an animal. Now, I'm still a bowhunter, but I enjoy target archery as well, especially 3D. By learning to really just enjoy shooting, that has helped me immensely in hunting situations with having the confidence to know that I can make the shot. Target archery, (redneck gold as GMMAT's friends called it) in the sense of scopes, umbrellas, and 4' stabs is not akin to bowhunting in any stretch of the imagination though, in my opinion at least.

x2
Well Said!

I see many bows in the 'bowhunting' class at 3D shoots that have never seen a tree stand, a broadhead or a gut pile. There should be a 'practical bowhunting' subclass: bows would be required to sport at least three scratches, one blood stain and stabs shorter than your manhood.