Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Are you an archer or a bowhunter? >

Are you an archer or a bowhunter?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you an archer or a bowhunter?

Old 02-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me, the difference lies in decision making. There is very little decision making in archery (3D is a bit of an exception). But, what makes a great shooting bowhunter is the decision making prowess to decide when and how to shoot.

To complicate matters, bowhunting is a solitary sport and face-to-face learning is limited.

We have all heard same, old stories of the archers who can hit a bottle cap every time at 20 yards but can't double lung a deer at 15 while bowhunting. There is also the trite story of the guy who can't hit a pie plate at 20 but thinks he is deadly on game. Obviously, none of us think we are either of these guys but the harder question to answer is: What kind of bowhunter appears in the mirror?

This is the kind of self-reflection and examination that improves decision making and allows you to become a better game shot (IMO).
Old 02-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say I'm an archer that has always had an addiction to bowhunting. The only reason I classify myself as such is that I shoot my bows year round and hunting season lasts but a short couple of months. There are 8 or 9 months of the year separate from hunting and I'm not going to let all this expensive gear sit around when there's paper or foam to shoot.

That being said, as I get older I'm losing the urge to get up in the middle of the night, get dressed in a lot of heavy clothes, and go sit in a treestand for days at a time without seeing anything. In other words, after chasing deer for almost 50 years I'm getting burned out. The desire to keep shooting remains.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YooperMike
For me, I started aas a pure bowhunter, only shooting in order to be just proficient enough to kill an animal. Now, I'm still a bowhunter, but I enjoy target archery as well, especially 3D. By learning to really just enjoy shooting, that has helped me immensely in hunting situations with having the confidence to know that I can make the shot.
Pretty much sums it up for me. The more endeavors I venture into in archery the more I learn and the more I like it. However, I'm probably really (mentally) a BOWHUNTER first, as many times, I consider a shot and as I take it, I think to myself, it may have been just outside the 10 ring, but it would've resulted in a DEAD ANIMAL. I have a couple guys I shoot with, and we shoot a "modified 3D" where we determine a HEART shot to be 10, good clean kill 8, anything else, ZERO!!! I think this is part of what I DON'T like about 3D is that it leads too many people to aim higher than they really SHOULD be aiming!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
Well the way i see it is that a bowhunter needs to be and archer but an archer dosent need to be a bowhunter. So if you bowhunt your kinda both right?
I like it

archer here... I kill and hunt just as much as everyone else, but won't accept "getting close" as an excuse for poor shooting... I've killed animals directly under me, an from the ground less than 5 yards... Of course I wanna get close every shot, but I I see a deer o turkey at a distance known as "far" to most, I will not let my attitude get in the way

I will evaluate the situation, and if the outcome seems like it will be good on mine and the animals part, I will shoot with the intent on recovery... Knowing your ability as an archer in the woods is vital for good judgement on "to shoot or not to shoot". If u shoot alot, you know your probability much better
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kwilson16
To me, the difference lies in decision making. There is very little decision making in archery (3D is a bit of an exception). But, what makes a great shooting bowhunter is the decision making prowess to decide when and how to shoot.

To complicate matters, bowhunting is a solitary sport and face-to-face learning is limited.

We have all heard same, old stories of the archers who can hit a bottle cap every time at 20 yards but can't double lung a deer at 15 while bowhunting. There is also the trite story of the guy who can't hit a pie plate at 20 but thinks he is deadly on game. Obviously, none of us think we are either of these guys but the harder question to answer is: What kind of bowhunter appears in the mirror?

This is the kind of self-reflection and examination that improves decision making and allows you to become a better game shot (IMO).
Yep. Everyone should think more before they shoot. That second guessing will cause you to realize sometimes that you are incapable of a good shot then, or it's a bad day, or the animal seems leery or whatever... The second guess/ questioning of ones ability will cause more thought out decisions that are realistic to that individual...

I know that I can hold groups at 70 yards that would kill an animal 95% of the time. But in a tree you are not in the same situation so being able to judge your current shooting/holding state is necesarry as well.

Some guys get really nervous, which IMO limits their shooting tremendously. You can't expect te same results when you are shaking uncontrollably...

You've gotta know where you stand as an archer at the particular moment of truth as a bowhunter to increase your success... They go hand in hand for bowhunters...

On an "archers" moment of truth, he is goin to shoot regardless and doesn't really need to ever question his ability. That's what kills alot of us
Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always thought of an "Archer" as anyone that shoots a bow, Compound or Recurve or Longbow for hunting or target. I am a Bowhunter, but I shoot year round. I approach archery from a hunting perspective, I used to have target bows for target shooting and hunting bows for hunting. Now I use my hunting bow for everything and do not change it much in the off season for 3D shooting. This keeps me sharp for hunting.

Last edited by LKNCHOPPERS; 02-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Bowhunting IS archery.

Now...if you want to talk about TARGET archery .....then I'd just say that target archery and bowhunting are mutually exclusive endeavors.

I consider myself a bowhunter....that enjoys target archery.
Yea me to Jeff !
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Bowhunting IS archery.
Exactly. I don't see how someone could be a true bowhunter without first being an archer.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with a lot of the previous posts, I became a bowhunter by first becoming a archer. Bowhunting is a true passion of mine, but by enjoying and practicing archery it makes me a better bowhunter. It doesn't matter how far I know i can shoot an arrow. I will still try and get as close as possiable to the animal i am trying to put on the table, simply to increase my odds of taking that animal and out of respect to the animal.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhunting is what introduced me to archery. I'm sure glad it did because I enjoy both immensely and while they are related I enjoy them for different reasons. With archery it is competitive (with myself mostly now) and I love to tinker and change things trying to squeeze the most out of myself to be the best I can. With bowhunting it is the pursuit and learning the land and the game as much as possible and putting together the pieces of the puzzle that will lead to the shot. It is only when that shot presents itself that the two are married and that is a beautiful thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.