Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Are you an archer or a bowhunter? >

Are you an archer or a bowhunter?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you an archer or a bowhunter?

Old 02-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a deer hunter that has learned to proficiently shoot a bow. If I couldn't hunt deer with my bow, I'd probably never pick it up again. I guess that makes me a bowhunter. Same thing goes for my Rem 700 .270 and my Knight 50 cal. muzzleloader. The only reason I own them is to deer hunt.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a hunting rig to bowhunt and to practice I started shooting competition indoor 18yards vegas and 25yards.
Now I am a bowhunter who proved his worth and who kicks ass on the range.
I seem to constantly beat the guys with bows looking like they can pick up radiosignals from Alpha centauri or bows that look like the only thing they're missing is the tarp to become a tent for 4.
In my opinion, having long stabs has something to do with compensation......

So I am a bowhunting archer.

Frank
Belgium
Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
I would probably never have brought this up except I just read someones signature block that said: An "Archer" tries to see how far away he can get from his target and still connect, a BOWHUNTER tries to see how CLOSE he can get to his!

How many can say they are archers

How many can say they are bowhunters

How many can't seperate the two and claim to be both.

Let's do an unofficial pole.

I'm also a little curious if equipment choice affects this. How many compound shooters consider themselves archers? Is it an old dieing term? I'm not sure if the signature block intended a slur of archers by only capitalizing bowhunters. It almost appears so, but I don't really know.

I consider myself both. In my heart of hearts I enjoy my recurves more than my Mathews which I bought out of necessity when arthiritus didnt allow me to control the string anymore. Although I will say that compound sure impresses me with it's accuracy from 40 out to 80 yards. I think the arrow is up in the air long enough for me to feel that thrill of watching it fly.
I consider myself both a bow hunter and archer. Here in Scotland archery is very much apart of our culture and the bow of choice for archers here is the long bow or the recurve. There are compound shooters too.

I also shoot in tournaments.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:03 AM
Fork Horn

An Archer strives to make the perfect shot everytime under controlled conditions.

A Bowhunter strives to make the perfect shot under any condition one time.

I am a Bowhunter.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being a great shot never hurts a hunter.
Being a poor one can.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

A little of both but more so a bow hunter. Bow hunting to me Is not a shooting sport, shooting paper/targets Is.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

Bowhunter.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bowhunter, when hunting game, Archer, when pursuing the pure shooting aspect of the sport.

Distance has zero bearing on the definition. It is purely intent. Do you wish to kill or have the best score, form, etc?

Even in hunting, distance means nothing to me. The goal of the hunter is to be able to make the kill shot when presented. With a bow, sometimes that's measured in feet and sometimes it's beyond the effective range of NFL Field Goal Kickers.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

GR8atta2d seemed to sum it up very well. What bothered me about the signature was that it presumed the archer was interested in only the long shot and that somehow he might be uncabable of making, or even trying to set up a perfect shot on close game.

I agree that distance has nothing to do with it. To me, an archer is someone who has taken to the bow and shows some dedication to mastering it or at least striving to improve. I would hope all bowhunters would be archers.

I think that since coming from a recurve beginning, I may identify more with the term archer, because I doubt there would be much arguement that shooting barebow with a slower recurve takes some dedication to achieve a competent level of repepitive accuracy and confidence. It may be possible that compounds with sights, releases, drop aways and peeps are much, much easier to shoot and kill deer with within days or weeks of purchase. The average recurve/longbow hunter may spend a year or more before he feels the same level of confidence. Then, he must connect with a good shoot to build that confidence.

That is why I think "archer" may be dearer to the barebow shooter and I think in the world of compounds the term has changed to competitive shooter. Now I may get some flac from that assumption from distinguished compound archers... lol.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GR8atta2d
Bowhunter, when hunting game, Archer, when pursuing the pure shooting aspect of the sport.

Distance has zero bearing on the definition. It is purely intent. Do you wish to kill or have the best score, form, etc?

Even in hunting, distance means nothing to me. The goal of the hunter is to be able to make the kill shot when presented. With a bow, sometimes that's measured in feet and sometimes it's beyond the effective range of NFL Field Goal Kickers.
Well said! As a BowHunter my goal is to kill as effectively as I can. Distance has nothing to do with being a BowHunter!

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.