Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broadhead preferences..... >

Broadhead preferences.....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead preferences.....

Old 02-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead preferences.....

Hi guys, finally getting set up to see how bow hunting is, I've been primarily a gun hunter for a number of years now. I purchased a used bow from a guy I know, so far I've had it restrung and tuned for me.
I'm well aware of the myriad of options and accessories available but my question is broadhead selection, I've read that the mechanicals typically don't have the penetration that fixed blades do. What are your guys experiences with both. I'm not looking to break the bank here but I figure it's like your gun you got to find what the bow likes.
My setup is a PSE sidewinder, draw length 29", pull weight with the new string is 59.4lb. I plan on shooting carbon shafts for the 60 lb range. What broadheads would you recommend for a complete newby to bow hunting. I was thinking 3 or 4 blade Muzzy's at 100 gr. or the Wasp 100 gr.
Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

What broadhead to use?? A SHARP ONE!!!!!! lol just bustin your chops lol Your gonna get alot of different responses to your question and if you look though past threads, broadhead opinions are every where. Its like anything else with bowhunting, you need to shot a couple different heads and see what flys best for you and your setup. Some love mechanicals where others (such as myself) prefer fixed BH's. I have used NAP Thunderheads for about 15 years and have never needed to change. Are they the best BH out there? I don't know and dont care. They fly great for me and when I put my arrow in the right spot they take care of the rest, simple as that. Welcome to the club and good luck with your future Bowhunts
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

At that draw weight and a little older bow, I would recommend a fixed blade head. I've killed a bunch of stuff with Slick Tricks. They are extremely durable, scary sharp, and fly like darts. There are plenty of good fixed blade choices out there, but Slicks are my #1 choice. With the amount of kinetic energy you will be getting with your setup, you can avoid a possible problem with penetration if you are using a fixed blade head. Mechs eat up a lot of KE on the way in. I shoot Grim Reapers for my mech choice, but i'm pushing nearly 85# or KE, so i'm FAR from worried about penetration.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of choices out there for broadheads and I don't believe anyone can tell you which head is perfect for you.

Some people really like mechanicals because they are very easy to use and in most cases offer a larger cutting diameter. Really, you just unscrew your field tip, screw a mechanical on and get in a stand. Mechanicals help hide some tuning flaws with your setup and shoot just like a field tip.

I personally don't care for them for a couple of reasons. 1) They rob KE from your setup. 2) I have concerns about the durability of most on the market. 3) They are mechanical, so in my mind, that is just another possible point of failure.

Fix blades broadhead are what I like the most and more specific, cut on contact bh's. However, they have some problems as well. First, if your bow is not tuned correct, your bh will not have the same point of impact as your field tip (in most cases). This means you either have to tune your bow (best option) or adjust your sights for their POI. However, I believe that they are worth the extra work. They cannot fail, the blades will always be there to cut and you get better penatration.

You mentioned Muzzy and that would be a hard head to beat. They have been around forever and have taken a ton deer.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

A 3 blade Muzzy or Thunderhead will do all that needs doing to a whitetail...
Old 02-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Fixed blade...WASP Hammer SST 100gr
Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

I like Muzzy or Slick Tricks.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Ya i agree with most these guys. Keep it simple especially on a bit older bow. Use a fixed blade. Thunderhead and Magnus are both great fixed blade ehads.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Fortunately we have a lot of great choices in broadheads available today.

You will be Hard pressed to find a better all around head than Slick Tricks!

Dan
Old 02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
Fortunately we have a lot of great choices in broadheads available today.

You will be Hard pressed to find a better all around head than Slick Tricks!

Dan
DITTO for me too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.