Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Different kind of deer >

Different kind of deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Different kind of deer

Old 02-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Spike

Default Different kind of deer

Gday fellas, well i know your whitetail season is over so I thought i would share some of my good fortune with you from a recent deer hunt here in Aus.

I was lucky enough to drop the hammer on a chital (axis) stag. They are feral here and can be hunted year round - if you have the access to properties!

We were spot and stalking and on the first day of the hunt it took me two hours to get in on this big boy. He finally came to within 25m of where I was hiding behind a creek bank. He was feeding totally relaxed when i dropped the hammer and he still ducked the arrow so it took him in the shoulderblade and thru the spine. Down on the spot - but I use 80lbs and a 600g arrow.

Very happy with him.

The rest of hunt didnt go my way - I got busted on perhaps 8 stalks, got to the shot on another good stag and a doe, both easily ducked the arrow at 30m. Still thats chital hunting!

If you like this sort of hunt and are ever out in Aus its not that expensive - perhaps $5,000 for a week and usually includes a stag and a couple of does. Spot and stalk, ground blind or treestand - whatever you like.
cheers
benno
Attached Thumbnails Different kind of deer-chitumimg_0996-1-.jpg   Different kind of deer-chitumimg_0996-3-.jpg  
Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

how far is 25 and 30m? is your bow out of tune? shooting to loud for all these stags to duck your arrow?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the stag. What a beautiful animal. How is the venison from chital deer?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Spike

Thanks guys. The venison from chital is fantastic, we had chital steak sandwiches on the 2nd day of the hunt, from the eye fillets - so tasty. Unfortunately I flew out so my mates ended up with all the meat - bastards!

25m is about 25 yards, slightly over. Chital are regarded here in Aus as being the most likely deer to jump the string. They are incredibly highly strung and tend to duck even the quietest bows. Id not hunted them before and was amazed at their reflexes. Very challenging for spot and stalk.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's a cracker Benno. Good on you! Axis deer are just as jumpy here in the states. They are by far the hardest deer I have ever had the pleasure to hunt. I took my nine good efforts and 10 solid weeks before I was able to arrow one of my own. They seem to have ESP. It is truly amazing how they're able to get out of the way of an arrow. Yes, Axis is also the best tasting meat I have ever had!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, Great table fare for sure. I took this one in Texas-pouring down rain & the 4th trip (4 days each) 16 days of Bowhunting b/4 I ever saw One Buck. I dropped him within 35 yds. with a 20 yd. shot. Mine had a deformed horn as he had a huge healed/scar area that looked like he had been horned in a past fight.
Attached Thumbnails Different kind of deer-axis-deer.jpg  
Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Great animal and congratulations. Thanks for bring it to the forums. Oh, great bow too by the way.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
He's a cracker Benno. Good on you! Axis deer are just as jumpy here in the states. They are by far the hardest deer I have ever had the pleasure to hunt. I took my nine good efforts and 10 solid weeks before I was able to arrow one of my own. They seem to have ESP. It is truly amazing how they're able to get out of the way of an arrow. Yes, Axis is also the best tasting meat I have ever had!
Wow and i though i did it tough only gettting one in 3 days!

Ahunter55 - thats a real shame about that broken horn on your stag - he would have been an absolute cracker. But still a very fine animal and an awesome trophy.

My hat goes off to you fellas for your persistance.

We found that after about the 2nd day every deer in the local herd was so on edge that it was almost impossible to get in bow range. It was like they had all told each other there was something hunting them and every animal was wound up like a spring.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
Oh, great bow too by the way.
heh heh - not biased are we Rob?!

I shoot for thegreeneoutdoors.com and they keep me up to date with the best Bowtech gear. The Destroyer 350 is coming soon =)

But I dont know if i'll ever put down the Guardian as my big game bow. At 80lbs its smooth enough in the draw, super quiet and pushes a heavy arrow out like a dart. Love it - i took 34 camels with it last year alone. great bit of kit.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

How much does a camel weigh ?

Do you eat them ?

Probably a weird mount.

More info please

Originally Posted by benno
heh heh - not biased are we Rob?!

I shoot for thegreeneoutdoors.com and they keep me up to date with the best Bowtech gear. The Destroyer 350 is coming soon =)

But I dont know if i'll ever put down the Guardian as my big game bow. At 80lbs its smooth enough in the draw, super quiet and pushes a heavy arrow out like a dart. Love it - i took 34 camels with it last year alone. great bit of kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.