Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hoyt Alphamax

Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hoyt Alphamax

I just bought the bow today and was wondering what to expect ill be using it for a hunting setup but also want the most speed i can get out of it. if i shoot 250 grain arrow and 100 grain tip totaling 350 grains its not gonna be like dryfiring my bow is it? would like to know what grain arrows ppl are shooting through this bow and there chrono speed. thx for your time
Old 02-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will be just fine with a 350gr arrow! As for the speeds you will get can't help ya there! What is the minimum grains per pound that Hoyt will waranty? Shoot the minimum for your maximum speed.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am shooting the AlphaMax 32 at 29.5 and 67-68lbs. I am shooting Axis 340's at 28.5" (417grains) and I am getting right at 294fps. You can move to a 400 spine and get more speed, but I think you will find that will be underspined and the 340's will be more accurate/consistant.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the solution to your problem!!!

Ryan.

I hope this helps http://www.backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/tools.php
Old 02-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

5 grains per pound and you will be ok, but for hunting I'd say you would be much happier with something around 6 grains per pound.

Good Luck!

Dan