Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Lil help deciding >

Lil help deciding

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lil help deciding

Old 01-31-2010, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Lil help deciding

Ok. So I've been looking , shooting, looking, shooting...... For about 2 months now. I've narrowed it down to the Bowtech 82nd Airborne and the Limbsaver Dead Zone. You boys (or girls) have any 2 pennies on which I should pick. I'll probably go pick one of them up this week.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

My only suggestion is......draw the 82nd several times before making your decision. I found it to be VERY harsh (draw cycle).

It's accurate. It's fast. But I only kept mine a few months before I realized it wasn't worth the toll it was taking on my arm.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

did the same last year and I agree the Bowtech draw was a little harsh. I narrowed it down to the PSE & Matthews and went with the Matthews DXT.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know much about the Limbsaver but I can't imagine it's in the same league (speed) as the 82nd. (Can't say)

Since you said you've been shooting them then you know which one's right for you.

I love my 82nd. It's been my primary go to bow for 2 seasons now. Shot many rounds of 3D as well as indoor with it. I find it a joy to shoot both in drawing and shooting. Once drawn however, don't creep. It sure puts out some impressive speeds.

Good luck in your choice, it's yours to make.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Once drawn however, don't creep.
You got that right. You might find yourself 10-ringing your target with a flying appendage!....lol

I actually liked the bow. I won a couple tournaments with it. It IS a tack driver....and it's fast as lightning (I was shooting my target arrows 330fps at 61#'s!). It's the only bow that's ever given me pain issues, though. Those could absolutely be attributable to me. The moment those cams roll over is an eye-opener, though. Just pay attention to that.

I wouldn't discount any bow, before shooting it.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

My 82nd Airborne was a 60#er, and it was a real performer. Easy to handle, shot a hunting weight arrow @ 312fps, and was a tack driver as well. I hunted with it an entire season, and everything I pointed it at died.

60# is extremely easy for me to handle, and if you shoot with proper form which includes good back tension, and you are Not over bowed in poundage you should have No problems at all with the 82nd.

I'd say performance wise the Dead Zone is not in the same league with the 82nd. If you want to compare draw cycles then shoot some of the BowTechs that are closer to the same IBO speed as the Dead Zone. If performance is what you are looking for then the 82nd would be an obvious choice.

You really need to shoot both bows, and even more to make the Best decision for YOU!

Dan
Old 01-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

I really like the back wall of the 82nd and the draw seemed fine for me. I guess the only hitch I have is that it's 75 more clams than the Limbsaver. Which in the long run is nothing. I just wanted to varify my decision. I really like the bowtech brand and I feel the 82nd is a top notch bow. I felt that the draw cycle was smooth with a little pull getting over the cams. Still a good drop off and a VERY firm back wall. It couldn't be missed. What kind of speeds am I looking at on the 82nd? We chronoed' the Limbsaver and it was shooting 298 at 65 lbs.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigpapa
I really like the back wall of the 82nd and the draw seemed fine for me. I guess the only hitch I have is that it's 75 more clams than the Limbsaver. Which in the long run is nothing. I just wanted to varify my decision. I really like the bowtech brand and I feel the 82nd is a top notch bow. I felt that the draw cycle was smooth with a little pull getting over the cams. Still a good drop off and a VERY firm back wall. It couldn't be missed. What kind of speeds am I looking at on the 82nd? We chronoed' the Limbsaver and it was shooting 298 at 65 lbs.
What grain arrow bigpapa.

I currently have my 82nd 62lbs, shooting a 320 gr arrow at 327fps and a 465gr arrow at 280. I think I remember shooting a 380 grain arrow 317. As I mentioned above, I'm unfamiliar with the Limbsaver but with the same arrow, same poundage I'd be surprised if the 82nd wasn't well above the Limbsaver.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is my second season with the 82nd and I love it. I have a short draw (27.5" @ 60 lbs) and I am at 295fps with a 380 gr arrow. You should be able to push a hunting weight arrow @ 300 fps with ease with more weight or length.

I never thought of the draw as harsh but I would recommend shooting with some back tension because the valley is narrow.

This fall, I drove an expandable completely through a good sized doe that was quartering away which is not bad for a short armed guy shooting 60 lbs.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Obviously, I'm gonna have to work on that back tension thing.....lol.

Good luck, big!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.