HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Left eye dominate right hand shooter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/315975-left-eye-dominate-right-hand-shooter.html)

cmfstone 01-27-2010 06:32 AM

Left eye dominate right hand shooter

After having eye surgery I find shooting with both eyes open (which after shooting for five years) more natural than before the surgery. Looking for advice on what would be the best setup, peep, sights, hind sight, ect. to use? I shoot right handed but left eye dominate.

halfbakedi420 01-27-2010 06:40 AM

well my buddy just has tall rings on his scope....but he got a mil dot cause the angle is a lil different and he said it helps...but usually he has it sighted at 112 yards..where his feeder is.

BowHntrRick 01-27-2010 07:23 AM

I am the opposite: I am right eye dominant but left-handed.

I did not learn about my eye dominance until later in life: in High School I shot left-handed on the rifle team, not realizing that I was using my weak eye.

Once I began to shoot a bow I discovered the advantages of shooting with both eyes open: it greatly improves the overall hunting view and reduces eye fatigue. However, in order to shoot with both eyes open it is important to base your shooting on your dominant eye. Hence, although I am left-handed I shoot a right handed bow to take advantage of my dominant right eye.

I have been trying to re-train to shoot right-handed including pistol shooting: at my age (51) it feels very awkward, but I am slowly making progress.

I find that use of a scope reduces the value of shooting with both eyes open (it is confusing to see one sight picture magnified but another not), so I tend to shoot with one eye open. However, even in this case it is sometimes preferable to shoot with both eyes open and I can only do this effectively when shooting right-handed.

I purchased a cross-bow last year and quickly learned the value of being able to shoot with either hand due to the limitations of swinging the crossbow. I took 4 deer this past season: one left-handed and three right-handed.

MOhunter46 01-27-2010 08:25 AM

Why dont you just switch to shooting lefty. Ive heard of people just like you and they do better when they switch to shooting left handed. They say its kinda akuward at first but it pays off in the long run, just something to think about. Good luck!

bigcountry 01-27-2010 08:32 AM

I damaged my right eye and face simular issues.

If possible, shoot lefty. Iam just too far down the road in like to do that. But if new, give it a try.

halfbakedi420 01-27-2010 12:07 PM

old dogs can learn new tricks...and you would be new to shootin lefty..so give er' a whirl.

quote=bigcountry;3564158]I damaged my right eye and face simular issues.

If possible, shoot lefty. Iam just too far down the road in like to do that. But if new, give it a try.[/quote]

elkmtngear 01-27-2010 12:37 PM

When I finally figured out that my wife should have been shooting lefty, and switched her over, she finally started hitting stuff like crazy. Same thing with her brother as a new shooter. They were both raised Catholic, and forced to be right-handed, but they both should have been leftys.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

bowtech 300 01-27-2010 02:48 PM

6 years ago I lost my right eye in a motorcycle crash. Being right handed I thought my archery days were over. A friend let me try a left hand Bow and I was off and shooting again. I believe I shoot better now( all the old bad habits are gone) Last year in a indoor league i averaged 299 56xs over 10 shoots

jakelogsdon 01-27-2010 05:50 PM

Gotta teach yourself to shoot left handed. I am in the process now. I am left eye dominant as well. I started training myself with a shotgun and rifle, and now am transitioning to a bow. The only problem is i have to shoot my buddies bow, an i just bought a right handed Bowtech Admiral.

2 Lunger 01-27-2010 06:11 PM

You got to learn to shoot left handed just like everyone else has been saying.