Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous? >

Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous?

Old 01-27-2010, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

This is why I switched to the Wasp SST Hammer heads. I get 6 heads for less than most get 3 heads. They are sharp, strong and cheap. Thunderheads are the same way.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cougar Mag
Yep, I know a few bowhunters who do that. A young bowhunter was telling me about purposely aiming at the guts of a deer if that is the only clear shot he had because of the cutting area of his mech head. All I could do was shake my head because there was no arguing with him.
That is both scary and sad at the same time. The advantage of the larger cutting diameters is more damage to the vitals, great blood trails, and the possibility of a lethal wound on a marginal hit. To intentionally take a bad shot and expect the head to make up for it is just stupid and unacceptable.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i think it's the Rage commeercials that they say, "Expand the kill Zone." Sounds like there's at least one "kid" that took that statement literal!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
That's one of my fears with all the advertising around the large heads. That's unacceptable.

They are great for marginal shots but marginal shots should never be taken intentionally.
Rage says it all....."Best bad shot broadhead on the market"....

You don't have to be a good shot any more. Pretty soon we will be like Bo and Luke Duke and have exploding arrows!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I haven't tried any BH that has improved on the results of the Magnus two blade for my bow. If it ain't broke...
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
Rage says it all....."Best bad shot broadhead on the market"....

You don't have to be a good shot any more. Pretty soon we will be like Bo and Luke Duke and have exploding arrows!!!
You got an inside on these??? Sure would be fun to trial a couple, have the deer already BBQ'd by the time I get to it......
Old 01-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Spike

I agree the advertising issue plays a big part. There are alot of suckers out there. Same reason why hunters by sent lock clothing. I also agree with the high price issue. I think it is true some heads are better than others depending on bow and set up but no matter what we shoot, at the end of the day its all about the shot placement.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you prove that one head is better than the other? Each animal is different, angles, placements are all different and in my mind there is no way you can say that one is better than the other. I have had great luck with all four heads that I have ever used and I can't say one is better. I know the shorter profile I shoot now allows me to shoot field points and broadheads at the same impact points. The old muzzys I shot about 15 years ago I had to adjust my sights but that could have been a tuning problem. They were still a great head that killed many animals. I have used muzzy 3 blades,some other 4-blade 15 years agao, Magnus 4-blade stingers and now the wacem tritons. All have had great kills and only one ever broke a blade but I hit the spine and it is understandable. Deer didn't move after that. I think like most things now days it's all marketing and hype. Everyone is trying to keep up with there peers, friends so they have to have the latest and greatest. That's ok cause I can get some good deals on used stuff all the time.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Guys and gals..

Why do you worry so much what other people are shooting?

and..

By the way, advertising is a smart, common sense approach in business to grow sales.

Also, I don't think anybody is saying "don't worry about shot placement with our BH".
Old 01-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

It doesn't matter which broadhead you use as long as it is tuned correctly for your bow... I think hunters these days get to caught up in "I made a bad shot, so it must be the BH, bow, or my treestand"... I must hear this 20 times a season and it is nuts.. Bad shots are not the equipements fault its the person that is releasing the arrow.. Now I shoot the Rage 3-blade, not because of "marginal shot placement ability" but because I like the consistancy of them as well as the bloodtrail... hell I honestly believe that if you hit the deer where you should you could kill it with a field point!! So this whole convo between fixed and mechicals is overdrawn and a waste of time.. Dont be lazy and just watch some commericial about the BHs, Go out to your local pro shop test shoot some BHs and see what fits you and your equipement... The everyone else wont have to listen to every complain about specific BH choice!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.