Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous? >

Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

And have you noticed how often Ralph and Vicki DON'T get pass throughs. Matter of fact, the penetration that they have gotten on a few shots simply re-afirm my reasoning for using COC broadheads. 'cause I don't like seeing an animal that I just shot run off with an arrow dangling from it. I want two holes, every time.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Its marketing. People keep watching TV shows and hunting videos, and all the sudden feel they can't kill a deer without the newest whiz bang. I went down this road myself at one time, and have came back to thunderheads, and magnus 2 blade. Can't say I ever killed more deer with the newer ones.
I agree,It seems that alot of guys think they have to have all the newest and most expensive equipment they can buy,fastest bows,newest broadheads,every gadet you can think of,when all they really need is to learn to shot the best they can and take well placed shots, I have watched a many nice buck walk away bacause the shot wasn't there! But some marketers have made some believe that with there equipment there is no bad shot.
I like to know how some new equipment performs but I don't care what kind and how expensive your equipment is,that will not make you a good hunter,only practice and time will make you one!
And as for all these new broadheads none of them will ever take as many animals as the old Fred bear razorhead and they didn't need to be rocket launched to get the job done!!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote=YooperMike;3567394]
Originally Posted by GMMAT
For the pickers of nits.....

That made me laugh. Not sure why, just found it funny.

I think I am in agreement with the "can" part of your statement too. Before Rage really came on the scene, I could count on 0 fingers the guys I knew that were shooting 2" heads. There were heads out there, but just not with the advertising $ that Rage has poured into that product. Now that people know about Rage heads, and CAN shoot them, they do.
Yep, it made me laugh to after looking at those post for a few years.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree,It seems that alot of guys think they have to have all the newest and most expensive equipment they can buy,fastest bows,newest broadheads,every gadet you can think of,when all they really need is to learn to shot the best they can and take well placed shots, I have watched a many nice buck walk away bacause the shot wasn't there! But some marketers have made some believe that with there equipment there is no bad shot.
I like to know how some new equipment performs but I don't care what kind and how expensive your equipment is,that will not make you a good hunter,only practice and time will make you one!
And as for all these new broadheads none of them will ever take as many animals as the old Fred bear razorhead and they didn't need to be rocket launched to get the job done!!
Are you crazy?

Don't you know .....speed is sexy....and the mfr's of today's compounds are SURE you need to be faster than last year's (even if last year's was plus 300fps).
Old 02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
No doubt about that !!! Hell of a head they were!!
Old 02-03-2010, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Country Club Hunters rule today

Gadgets work; work in retailing; practice takes a far lower place.

It's amazing how us oldtimers ever harvested a deer, with the hunting products we had available.

I know its disrespectful calling the new hunters -Country Club Hunters - but there is some truth in my statement. Looking at the prices, I started say to myself that a hunter and his money are soon parted.

I guess if you're a newbie with money and little experience, what do you rely on for support. And as long as it works, everybody seems happy. And who cares today if oldtimers are saving money.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

The high cost of broadheads drove me to the NAP HellRazors (The G5 Montec is every bit as good) because they are a super tough one piece design that can be easily resharpened. I bought 6 two years ago and I still have 5. I lost one shooting at a rabbit in deep snow.

1-1/8" cutting diameter is as much as you will ever need. Heck, 7/8" Muzzys have done the job on thousands, if not millions of animals over the years.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the grand schem of things, broadheads are relatively cheap, but I agree some of the manufacturers are bending us over

There is nothing exciting about them because they don't advertise much and have been around forever, but WASP makes some of the absolute best fixed heads out there for a very reasonable price. Tough, easy to tune, and scary sharp blades. SST, Boss, etc- and they charge the same price for 6, many companies charge for 3. the ferrules are not steel, but I'm the kind of person who retires a head/arrow anyways after I've killed something with it anyway. I used the SSTs in 75 and 100 gr weights (both CCL and screw in) for a few years and never had a ferrule go squirrely on me.