Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous? >

Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is it me or are broadheads getting ridiculous?

Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Fork Horn

Try the new RAGE only $85.00. How many hunters have turned and said I lost a deer using a mechanical and now shoot fixed. And the next hunter will say, yeah well I had a marginal hit and I still recovered my deer. We need to police these statements, if you lose one, and most of us have, don't go bragging about it on these threads or in coffee shops. Of course if there is a problem with a head how do we find out about it? I am not a fan of mechanicals, and feel like a hypicrite, because I sell them. I supply a service sooo....
Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I guess this turned into a Mechanical vs Fixed blade argument?..It was never meant to be that. I was just stating at how it seems people have come to rely more on there broadhead than themselves. Yea the broadheads are the one doing the cutting but were the ones with the job of killing the deer. But it just seems that perfect shot placement has somewhat taken a back seat to marginal shot placement because some people as hunters believe that since there broadhead makes a 2foot cut itll be ok.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything is expensive these days. 5 years ago a friend give me a new bow and it still cost me $300 for accessories before I could shoot it. I'm not complaining though.......

Last edited by WVCritter; 01-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO This whole deal with the marginal hit thing is kind of like the average Joe going out and buying a pair of $300 basketball shoes and then expecting to be able to play at the NBA level. The broad head is only as accurate as the person shooting it. So no head is going to be able to make up for a poor bow setup, bad shooting form or poor shot choice. But I got to admit the exploding arrow thing is a thought at the very least it’ll solve field dressing. And the thought Chuck holding a stick of dynamite has a new commercial running through my mind. Lol
Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree in a way, there are too many people that think a big hole will mean a dead animal regardless. A Bad is shot is a Bad shot and a 1/2" or ?? will in all likelyhood not make the difference.

That said I shoot a 1 1/4" 4 blade head because I prefer the damage 4 blades inflict and an 1 1/4" creates a very nice hole. To be honest with you I really don't remember the last animal I had to actually Blood trail.

A well placed, super sharp, tough, broadhead is all that is required to put an animal down in short order. The biggest animal I ever killed, a 6X6 Bull Elk that was aged by teeth at 10.5 years old and had an estimated live weight of 1,000# by the locker plant that weighed the quarters was shot with a 1 1/8" cut 3 blade broadhead and went down in 60 yards.

The Big cut craze is caused by companies jumping on the marketing hype that has been taking place the last couple of years. You can't really blame them.

Dan
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
. But it just seems that perfect shot placement has somewhat taken a back seat to marginal shot placement because some people as hunters believe that since there broadhead makes a 2foot cut itll be ok.
I completely agree and even have good/bad example of this. A friend of mine who started bowhunting with me and my dad a few years back got the "RAGE" fever about a year ago. Thats allll he talks about is how bad @$$ they are( he's watched too many informertials). So just this past season we go out and I put him in a hot spot knowing for sure he should see something. Sure enough an hour after day light he txt's me saying he stuck a decent buck. When we went to look for the deer the arrow was about three or four yards away from where the deer turned and ran. There was about 6 inches of blood on the tip of the arrow. First thing came to my mind, Shoulder SHOT! I asked him if he saw where he hit the deer after they shot and said yeah right in the shoulder. He was so baffled that his "RAGE" did not drop the deer in his tracks, even fell out!! We track that deer for hundreds of yards will very little blood here and there and unfortunately never recovered him(was a small six). Me and Father have both shot NAP Thunderheads for all of 15 years and have no reason to change, my belief is, I'm tune in with them and as long as hit em where it counts thats what matters most and I have had great success.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BvrHunter
I completely agree and even have good/bad example of this. A friend of mine who started bowhunting with me and my dad a few years back got the "RAGE" fever about a year ago. Thats allll he talks about is how bad @$$ they are( he's watched too many informertials). So just this past season we go out and I put him in a hot spot knowing for sure he should see something. Sure enough an hour after day light he txt's me saying he stuck a decent buck. When we went to look for the deer the arrow was about three or four yards away from where the deer turned and ran. There was about 6 inches of blood on the tip of the arrow. First thing came to my mind, Shoulder SHOT! I asked him if he saw where he hit the deer after they shot and said yeah right in the shoulder. He was so baffled that his "RAGE" did not drop the deer in his tracks, even fell out!! We track that deer for hundreds of yards will very little blood here and there and unfortunately never recovered him(was a small six). Me and Father have both shot NAP Thunderheads for all of 15 years and have no reason to change, my belief is, I'm tune in with them and as long as hit em where it counts thats what matters most and I have had great success.
I shot one in the shoulder "area" a few years back with a Muzzy and got about 2" of penetration and the arrow fell out after about 10 yards.

The moral of the story is it really doesn't matter what BH you're using if you hit the wrong part of the shoulder.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just this year on my Mulie Buck I shot right on the shoulder blade. It was a close shot and one that had to be taken quickly. I basically shot instinctively. The Slick Trick busted the shoulder into fragments and got enough penetration to get the job done.

I am glad I was not pushing an expandable that was made out of aluminum or any other material for that matter.

I agree though generally a Bad shot is a Bad shot, and no one should ever depend on a bigger hole or tougher head to bail them out because most of the time it will result in disappointment.

Shoot what you have confidence in as confidence is a huge % of getting it done. If you are not satisfied with what you are shooting don't hesitate to switch. There are at least a half a dozen heads I could shoot with total confidence. We are lucky todays Broadheads as a general rule are very good quality. Getting great broadhead flight out of high speed bows is fairly easy to accomplish in this day and time with the quality heads available to Bowhunters.

Dan
Old 01-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
Is it me or are broadheads just getting more and more ridiculous. Seems like people are starting to rely more on how big of a hole a broadhead makes instead of worrying about shot placement which IMHO is more crucial than how big of a hole you make. Dont get me wrong a good size entry and exit wound is good but does it really matter if we almost cut the animal were hunting in half? Whats next people shooting chainsaws out of there bows?
Yes, and as long as people run out to buy the "next greatest BH", they will continue to produce more and more.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Guys.....it's as simple as this....

IF you have the expendable energy to shoot these large heads (notice I didn't say fixed or mechanical), AND your bow is properly tuned.....then by all means do so. Call it...."insurance". There's nothing wrong with a bowhunter increasing his margin for error.

I feel the same way on draw weight. If you're AS accurate....AND you can handle the DW....shoot it! Insurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.