Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mechanical VS Fixed Blade >

Mechanical VS Fixed Blade

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical VS Fixed Blade

Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried two different varieties of mechanical and was disappointed in both. There was a significant loss in penetration, especially on a shot I hit the shoulder blade.

I've gone back to 100gr Thunderheads and never been disappointed. Once I had one catch a twig with a blade and go off-target, but that's one of many shots.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

I think mechanical broadheads put a bigger hole in one obviously, but I'm going to buy fixed blade because when you shoot something with it, it's not broke or bent. So if you are wanting to put a big hole in the animal, I'd go with mechanical but if you want to keep the broadheads and use them over and over, and kill the deer, turkey, etc. go with the fixed blade.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

The age old question it seems like on this website..Here's my insight...I've used both fixed and mechanical...I made the switched this past hunting season for the reason that I couldn't get my Muzzy MX-3s to group out past 15 yards..So I did my research on the net, asking other people, on here and other forums as well..I came to the conclusion that I would buy Grim Reaper Razorcut broadheads..I shot 7 deer with them this year, and got 6 pass throughs, the other I spined her and it broke off..The farthest shot being a step under 50 yards..They fly true and they are nasty after impact..Of the 7, I watched 5 fall, and none of my kills this year went past 80 yards..With all that being said however, its your own choice, and if you find any broadhead you can put in the 12 ring consistently then you will be fine..They can't go far if you put it behind the shoulder..That is all
Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

I use the (Blood Runner), Love it, however I have'nt hit shoulder with em' yet. They do make a big hole.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

the spitfires were the last chance a mechanical broad head had to keep me in a mechanicle group..after a perfect shot on a hog, and the penetration was ridiculas at best and that sucker brought my arrow back and left it under my feeder the next day..i swore then that i would never use a mechanical bh again. as i hear people rage about rage products, i have never used them, but have seen sum pics where it looks like someone chopped at the deer with the infamous light saber from star wars.

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
The fixed blades are good, and they work great. I used them this year. I plan on, however, using the spitfires next season, and I have seen the shot holes from them and well. . . .wow.
Can't wait to see how they work. . . . . .
in the end. . . Win: mechanical
BigBuck95
Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EnglishHope
I think mechanical broadheads put a bigger hole in one obviously, but I'm going to buy fixed blade because when you shoot something with it, it's not broke or bent. So if you are wanting to put a big hole in the animal, I'd go with mechanical but if you want to keep the broadheads and use them over and over, and kill the deer, turkey, etc. go with the fixed blade.
I killed two deer with the same broadhead this season and could have killed a third with it. I use 100 gr. Spitfires. I just clean them up and sharpen the blades. Just about every deer I kill with them are complete pass throughs, making it easy to reuse them.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
the spitfires were the last chance a mechanical broad head had to keep me in a mechanicle group..after a perfect shot on a hog, and the penetration was ridiculas at best and that sucker brought my arrow back and left it under my feeder the next day..i swore then that i would never use a mechanical bh again. as i hear people rage about rage products, i have never used them, but have seen sum pics where it looks like someone chopped at the deer with the infamous light saber from star wars.
Obviously it wasn't a perfect shot. You hit a deer or hog with a Spitfire in the lung area, your going to get a pass through. I can only remember one shot for me that wasn't a pass through, and it was my fault. What grain were you using with the hog and what were you pulling? I would probably go with 125 gr. on a hog. I shoot nothing but 100 gr. at deer and have never had a problem with penetration. The Spitfire leaves a good entry hole and a huge exit hole. I switcehd from Muzzys to Spitfires and am glad I did.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fixed for me,I like to be able to resharpen and use again.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spitfire broadhead. If you hit-em in the right spot you can use a practise point.
Attached Thumbnails Mechanical VS Fixed Blade-f3a83bac.jpg  
Old 01-25-2010, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Until Muzzy goes out of business, I'll keep shooting em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.