Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
ACC versus Carbon >

ACC versus Carbon

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ACC versus Carbon

Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by kwilson16
That's an impressive spine checker, BIGCOUNTRY. What is the correct amount of weight? 1 pound?

I wish WWAG would use his considerable mechanical experise to develop a reasonably priced spine checker. His press and CAMirror are genius.
I am mostly interesting in measureing Cedar arrows, so I use AMO method of 2lbs at 26" centers. Where alum's and carbons are usually called out with 880grams at 28".

Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

my personal opinion is the fmj's are great for 3d they pull like butter but if you slap an arrow on anything they are pretty much toast they are a good arrow as long as you don't do anything to bend them.and be careful pulling the as you would an aluminum
What size of FMJ's are you shooting? Your post Is completely opposite of my experience with them. I'm shooting 340's. Read my quote below.

This was my 1st year shooting FMJ's. Loving them so far!! I do allot of stump shooting In the summer with my 62lb recurve and haven't bent one or broke one yet. Some of the stumps are "harder" then they appear to be and when your arrow bounces off your thinking oh ****!! So far so good though.
I should've added a few more things to this too. I've shot the same 3 arrows (340 FMJ's) all summer. I was easily shooting 400 arrows a week, probably much more. I went to a 3-d shoot with these and there was some bad set ups for shots. Twice I bounced/ricocheted off of tree's and all I could think of was yep, that one has to be broke or bent. None, all made It through perfect. If I would've been shooting my old arrow set up (2216's) they would've been bent and they are one tough arrow.

I'm not looking to argue at all but I'm curious being I've never heard anyone say this before about FMJ's. Everyone I've talked with about my arrow set up tells me your shooting a tough, outstanding arrow.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Steve:

I don't know this to be fact. But, I'd say a LOT of his opinion is based on the speed compounds are pushing his arrows. I know I broke more arrows, shooting compounds, than I do, now.

Just a thought.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking that too Jeff but I can pretty much gaurantee being he's shooting a compound his arrow Is much lighter then mine. My heavy arrow Is hitting very hard, that has to be tough on the arrow too with the high weight.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess It really doesn't matter either way, they've been excellent for me and that's what matters. Good post everyone, I learned a good bunch on all carbon and carbon/aluminum arrows.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

With that added weight....comes additional spine/stiffness.

Makes sense to me.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

All I know is I have had more dependability and confidence shooting aluminum/carbon arrows. I will NEVER buy another all carbon arrow again.

Toughest arrows I ever owned were the discontinued Easton A/C Superslims. If I could find more new ones I would buy them. Its ACCs or ACC Pro Hunters for me.

Thanks JeffB and BC for the technical stuff, very interesting to say the least.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cougar Mag
All I know is I have had more dependability and confidence shooting aluminum/carbon arrows. I will NEVER buy another all carbon arrow again.

Toughest arrows I ever owned were the discontinued Easton A/C Superslims. If I could find more new ones I would buy them. Its ACCs or ACC Pro Hunters for me.

Thanks JeffB and BC for the technical stuff, very interesting to say the least.

Heyya Coug! LTNS! Hope all is well

Bought some ProHunters myself today. Will see how they fare tomorrow. So far the AlphaBurner will tune with/shoot anything I've put through it- I expect no less with these.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

BIGCOUNTRY-

My arrows are only 27" so does that mean I can only check spine before I cut them below 28"?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kwilson16
BIGCOUNTRY-

My arrows are only 27" so does that mean I can only check spine before I cut them below 28"?
I'm not BC, but you could check them on a "traditional" (i.e. wood arrow) spine tester where the measuring points are 26" apart. This would help you check for consistency but would not give you an accurate measurment for spine. On modern arrows/AMO/ATA standard, the span is 28".