Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
ACC versus Carbon >

ACC versus Carbon

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ACC versus Carbon

Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ACC versus Carbon

How hard is it to bend an ACC or FMJ arrow? In other words, are they as resistant to bending as an all carbon arrow?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Banned

I have used them for years, and never bent one where it stayed bent. Yea, they will flex similiar to a carbon arrow. They are tough and a much better arrow then any carbon imo. Acc's can't explode upon release on you either. They have the Pro hunter out now and the advantage over the reg acc is that these can use a lighted nock if you wish to, where the reg acc arrow had a smaller nock design.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Spike

I just switched from the Easton Axis to the ACC Pro Hunter. My first impression is that these are great arrows. They flex similar to carbon without staying bent and are extremely accurate.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:10 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Been shooting them for years and I can't ever recall bending one. I have broken a lot of them. They are tough arrows. Hit a rock, tree, fence post or something else that you shouldn't and they will break just like any other arrow.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Spike

the fmj's will bend easy.you have to be careful pulling them like an aluminum. they are tough arrows but they will bend easy compared to an axis st
Old 01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have hunted with All Carbon, ACC's and FMJ's I have had Great success with the CX Maxima Series Arrows the past few years. I have hunted with the Aramids the last 2 years with no problems.

Next year I plan on shooting the ACC Pro Hunters. I have No doubts they will perform as advertised.

Dan
Old 01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

This was my 1st year shooting FMJ's. Loving them so far!! I do allot of stump shooting In the summer with my recurve and haven't bent one or broke one yet. Some of the stumps are "harder" then they appear to be and when your arrow bounces off your thinking oh ****!! So far so good though.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks again.
I think I will give the ACC's a try.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

I consider ACC's to be at the top of the arrow heap. They are tough but I've bent my share. They will certainly bend and stay bent. Regardless, they are the best, IMO.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing is as consistent as Alum/Carbon technology. It's the nature of the beast. when carbon shafts are made, they are what they are, unlike aluminum which can be worked and then precision layers put on top of it, or in the FMJ's case, have the aluminum around it to keep the carbon straight and spine consistent. This is why most all carbons are "graded" into straightness. They are sveral feet long when produced on the mandrel, and then the straighest middle section is sold as the "premium" shaft, and the sloppier ends are sold in lower grades. The MFGR would lose their butt, if they only kept the straight middle sections and ditched the majority of the carbon shaft they are actually producing.

Maximas (and any "spine selected" shaft from CX) are pretty tight spine-wise, but only cos CX spends an vast amount of time matching them up, hence the hefty price tag. Carbon Tech manages to keep spine pretty tight by not mass producing anything, though with the move to china and the mfg/ done by Win & Win, the mass production will be up. I'm curious to see if they can keep the consistency. Easton, considering the vast numbers of shafts they make also does a pretty good job- especially in the price range most of their arrows sell for. Generally they will spine better than a comparable price shaft from CX, GT, Victory, etc (who often tout straightness as the
be-all end-all to shaft consistency, when in truth spine and weight is far more critical). Beman quality though, in my experience has really gone downhill-total crapshoot- it's obvious the C2 ICSH (now outdated) construction and the "axis seconds" are just not up to snuff with their Easton counterparts in consistency.

As for bending. A/C/C/s will bend. Do they bend as easily as an aluminum arrow. Nope. But if they take severe hits- either front impacts, or say nock end hits in group shooting- they can bend or crease. But it's not easy. FMJs will definitely bend easier in my experience, but I absolutely love them- fantastic shooting shaft-straight, and great spine consistency. I am currently up in the air whether I want to stick with FMJs or go back to my old reliable ACCs. I've pretty much had it with any of the current all-carbon offerings, I'm sick of buying a dozen arrows (regardless of price) and only getting 6 or 7 that are worth a crap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.