Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Re-thinking KE and arrow weight >

Re-thinking KE and arrow weight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Re-thinking KE and arrow weight

Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Re-thinking KE and arrow weight

Alright...I was re-thinking my KE and arrow weight today for big game hunting (specifically pig, bear, elk and any thick skinned animal)...

What kind of KE and arrow weight are you guys using for thicker skinned animals?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've killed Bull Elk, 400 plus pound bears, Whitetails, Muleys, and Antelope and never had a need for anything heavier than 400 grains. I have shot heavier arrows, but I don't think they are needed.

Both heavy and Light arrows have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer to stay away from both extremes. The Hunting arrows I used this year weighed 360 grains and I'd use them for anything in the US or Canada with confidence. A lot of variables in penetration results and just one of them is total weight of the arrow.

Dan
Old 01-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
I've killed Bull Elk, 400 plus pound bears, Whitetails, Muleys, and Antelope and never had a need for anything heavier than 400 grains. I have shot heavier arrows, but I don't think they are needed.

Both heavy and Light arrows have their advantages and disadvantages. I prefer to stay away from both extremes. The Hunting arrows I used this year weighed 360 grains and I'd use them for anything in the US or Canada with confidence. A lot of variables in penetration results and just one of them is total weight of the arrow.

Dan

But you didn't really answer the question. A 360 grain arrow going slow poke is not going to kill anything. The question is two faced. He wants to know KE and arrow weight to use. Kind of a dumb question if you try to answer both parts. KE uses the weight to get it's number. SOOOOO... which do you want. LOL I'd say overkill is never a problem. Besides that..you have to consider broadhead choice. Are we using cut on contact, mechanical, crappy mechanical etc etc. It has to be a tuned system. How much KE do you need? All you and your equipment can handle. OVerkill is never bad. Depends on what you're hunting. I personnally like to have at least 65 pounds KE. It'll kill and shoot through anything in North America with the right broadhead. Then you can bring range into the deal. IF you're hunting out west at longer ranges.... well gee, we just lost a lot of KE down range. THere is NO magical answer. Error on the side of overkill. I don't care if some kid shot and killed a deer at 10 yards with a 30 pound bow. What do you want your equipment to do for you? It's a tuned system for the game of your choice. Do it right..... you win.

Last edited by davidmil; 01-20-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say at 65 and you are good to go for anything. Momentm is more important but that's another topic. Btw, my last high ke setup was 97#'s with a 530gr arrow!!! Overkill and unnecesarry totally! Cool as hell to brag about here tho lol.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Spike

I always think deeper is better,( guy thing ). look at it this way...a ping pong ball and a golf ball are about the same size...throw them into a snow bank...which goes deeper ? One must always look at shot placement too, when it comes to elk they have a tough hide and big bones. Think DEEP
Old 01-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nomorewolves
I always think deeper is better,( guy thing ). look at it this way...a ping pong ball and a golf ball are about the same size...throw them into a snow bank...which goes deeper ? One must always look at shot placement too, when it comes to elk they have a tough hide and big bones. Think DEEP
In relation to arrows tho, your golf ball would be traveling at about 100fps vs the pong balls 1000. U have to compare apples to apples...

That ping pong ball would go pretty far in the snow. The way u explained it is as two different speed bows shot them. Even if u said u dropped them both from the same height at the same time etc, the test is still skewed bc it isn't at all relative in the archery world.

I personally like dans train of thought. It's nice to have both. I prefer a 400 ish gr arrow. Anywhere from about 375-450 is where I feel is optimal. That is preference tho bc the fact will remain, 40#'s of ke will kill an elk... Ask the Indians
Old 01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Double faced question yes...I am looking for penetration. I am at 413gr and 267fps using the Rage 2 blade and hunting hogs (currently). Thinking of switching to a fixed blade as having an encounter with a big boar worries me that the Rage and my set up will not perform to the challenge. I asked the question wondering what you guys were using on your "large whitetails."
Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! I just read your post. Funny we both said 65 as that was purely a number that popped into my head...

On your comment regarding the 360 gr arrow comment... That is obvious that u don't want it going slow. If you are indeed shooting a SLOW setup I'd say go heavier even. More momentum is always better in a slow poke setup out of the gate.

Slow poke is also a personal definition as well... Some of the speed guys say 285 is slow... Well... 285 with dans 360 gr arrow is 65#'s of ke. Most modern bows even at 55-60#'s are easily capable of that.

Btw, not being argumentative If I sound like it. Just trying to throw it all out there for the op.
Originally Posted by davidmil
But you didn't really answer the question. A 360 grain arrow going slow poke is not going to kill anything. The question is two faced. He wants to know KE and arrow weight to use. Kind of a dumb question if you try to answer both parts. KE uses the weight to get it's number. SOOOOO... which do you want. LOL I'd say overkill is never a problem. Besides that..you have to consider broadhead choice. Are we using cut on contact, mechanical, crappy mechanical etc etc. It has to be a tuned system. How much KE do you need? All you and your equipment can handle. OVerkill is never bad. Depends on what you're hunting. I personnally like to have at least 65 pounds KE. It'll kill and shoot through anything in North America with the right broadhead. Then you can bring range into the deal. IF you're hunting out west at longer ranges.... well gee, we just lost a lot of KE down range. THere is NO magical answer. Error on the side of overkill. I don't care if some kid shot and killed a deer at 10 yards with a 30 pound bow. What do you want your equipment to do for you? It's a tuned system for the game of your choice. Do it right..... you win.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JNTURK
Double faced question yes...I am looking for penetration. I am at 413gr and 267fps using the Rage 2 blade and hunting hogs (currently). Thinking of switching to a fixed blade as having an encounter with a big boar worries me that the Rage and my set up will not perform to the challenge. I asked the question wondering what you guys were using on your "large whitetails."
Well u are indeed at that magic 65#'s of ke number

I, although a rage user, am still a skeptic concerning the 2 blades penetration. I'd go fixed without a doubt on a hog with that setup. If u were up in the 70-75 range maybe, but I'd say stick to what's known, keep the 413gr arrow and replace the rage with a fixed head.

I'm sure the rage would probably kill it fine, but that's a critter u don't wanna sacrifice penetration on in case of poor shot placement as mentioned previously...
Old 01-21-2010, 03:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default 65lb of KE

65lbs of KE will penetrate well.

I usually have 70lbs. Not hard to achieve with todays faster
bows.

DB

Cut on contact broadheads require less KE energy of mechanicals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.