Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Re-thinking KE and arrow weight >

Re-thinking KE and arrow weight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Re-thinking KE and arrow weight

Old 01-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I refer to Dr Ed Ashby's Studies .... makes for some great reading , And it got me busy doing some testing and playing with some different arrow setups for myself.
http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/
trad gang holds lots of his studies.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot 280 fps with 400 grain arrows/ fixed broadheads, elk are no problem.

But that's just me......

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Old 01-21-2010, 07:35 AM
bigcountry

No doubt if anyone on here shoots up to 230fps with 350 arrow, and hits an elk or moose right in the lungs, they are going to kill.

But I generally do not plan around best case scenerios and don't suggest others do either. I realize its fashionable now to be fast, and flat. And thats not changing.

I don't think anyone should plan to make a bad shot, but plan around a bad shot. Like a head on elk shoulder shot for instance.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will be fine at 267 fps with a 413 grain arrow and the Rage 2 Blade. I have had very good penetration with that head.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JNTURK
Double faced question yes...I am looking for penetration. I am at 413gr and 267fps using the Rage 2 blade and hunting hogs (currently). Thinking of switching to a fixed blade as having an encounter with a big boar worries me that the Rage and my set up will not perform to the challenge. I asked the question wondering what you guys were using on your "large whitetails."
Never would I ever recommend a rage 2 blade or any mechanical head for tough skinned animals. Tough skinned usually means heavy boned and I don't care how fast or heavy your arrow is a solid fixed blade will out perform any mechanical in a heavy skinned/boned animal any day. 267 with 413 grains is not that fast or heavy. A quality fixed blade would be my suggestion although I don't beleive in mechanical no matter what the situation but besides that I still would stay away from mechanicals. Boars are much tougher to penetrate than whitetails. WCL

Last edited by wingchaser_labs; 01-22-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

a lot of variables I'm seeing here, shotplacement, type of animal, speed, poundage, broadhead, weight, arrow weight,....
I think sometimes it's easier to tune engines than bows.....
but that's the fun part.
I think bowtype or better camtype makes a lot of difference as well. I could compare my old tomkat at 60# with 420gr arrow and shooting the same arrow through my airborne 82nd at 58#.
The arrow travells faster and they go in deeper in any target.

F.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester,

You say,
Tough skinned usually means heavy boned and I don't care how fast or heavy your arrow is a solid fixed blade will out perform any mechanical in a heavy skinned/boned animal any day.
Is this statement based upon science or spectulation?

I've used mechanicals to kill eland, water buffalo, musk oxen, bison, elk, moose, and a whole host of other animals-the vast majority taken with a single arrow. Are you telling me I could have killed them better with the use of fixed blades? How much more dead could I have gotten them?

Jnturk,

There are so many changing variables to consider pertaining to this discussion. Cause and effect is certainly a matter of "Trial and Error". Naturely, we do not need to re-invent the wheel- you are doing the right thing by asking questions. Lady Forge's post offers up some good analysis. It's info which will get you into the ball park. Then, the question becomes, can you hit a home run? Can you be spot on given an effective range? It is easy to postulate about fixed blades, for example. Consider this, they will fail to open if you cannot get them to hit your/their intended target. Yep, it is a game of trial and error...the Pursuit of Happiness. you are going about it the right way.

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 01-23-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you kill them yes and they can be very effective as well but in solid bone contact a fixed head will out penetrate a mechanical every time. Its not speculation its common sense and has been proven in many videos compairing broadheads just look for them. I never said mechanicals were junk, they all have their pros and cons but I just beleive there is more advantages to a fixed head compaired to a mechanical. The NAP mechanicals may not be in the category I'm refering too but the whole debate on fixed vs mechanicals has been covered way to much and doesnt need to be debated again. Put the arrow where it needs to be and you won't have a problem no matter what you shoot. I personally like bone breaking strength compaired to a large entrance but that is just an opinion. WCL