Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
The proof is in the puddin' >

The proof is in the puddin'

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The proof is in the puddin'

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM
New Sheriff

Default The proof is in the puddin'

I wanted to share with you good people a success story I've had recently...

After viewing the pictures on my Cuddeback this fall I targeted a very nice 5 pointer we named "Big Forky". I think I could have found this deer without my camera, you know the usual way of scouting, reading signs, etc but believe me, when I saw the commercial and read all the internet message boards about these things I had to have one. Anyway, I decided to hang my stand on the same tree the camera was on. Thank God for the Summit, as I don't think a lesser stand would have performed on that 16" white oak tree. The morning of the hunt, I rode my Honda Rubicon as close as I thought I should. Let me tell you, atv's have made a huge impact on my hunting. Before I got one it would have taken me at least 20 minutes to get there from my Ford F150 Supercrew.I arrived at my stand a few minutes before daylight thanks to my Rocky boots. I have to say I don't think there is another boot on the market that would have made the 200 yd hike from my Honda to my Summit in such comfort and safety. After getting settled in to my stand and my PSE X Force hung on the Realtree bowholder, I waited the 5 minutes out until daylight. I have to give props to my Mini Maglite, that thing lit up the woods like the 4th of July. Later that morning I noticed movement around 45 yds from me, near where I had my Moultrie feeder filled with corn and C'mere Deer. I was pretty sure it was a buck so I grabbed my Nikkon binoculars to look. One thing you cannot skimp on is optics. Those Nikkon brought that deer in from 45 yds as if it were only 25 yds away. Right away I recognized the deer...yep, you guessed it, it was Big Forky. I ranged him with my Bushnell Scout 1200 w/Arc as soon as I thought he was in range. It said he was standing at 18 yds but I should shoot like he was at 16 yds, thank God for that. I felt confident I was going to get a shot, after all I was wearing my Mossy Oak Scent Lok suit and, as I mentioned before, I was up in a white oak tree. How foolish would it have been to hunt out of an elm tree when I had oak leaves on my camo. You have to pay attention to the details my friends. The wind was quartering into my face at around 3 mph so I didn't think it would affect my shot. I hit my Bone Collector grunt tube once and he stopped, maybe because he was at the corn pile but I think the grunt worked like magic. I drew the Easton arrow tipped with a razor sharp Nap Spitfire thru my Whisker Biscuit and let the PSE do the rest. Let me tell you, I'll never use anything except mechanical broadheads. If it hadn't been for the 1 3/4" cutting diameter I may have missed the heart completely, only taking out the two lungs. Another thing, if I hadn't broke down last year and dropped $750 on that X Force things may have turned out differently. The deer only ran about 50 yds and went down. I got down (after texting 26 people) and retrieved the beast. I dressed him out with the Cody Pack and Butt Out Tool I purchased the week before, those rib spreader things are da bomb and you wont believe how easily the butt came out. I'm not one to brag but this dude will score somewhere in the upper 50's/lower 60's and easily weighed over 100 lbs, thank God for the Deer Cart as it made the drag back to the 4 wheeler possible. After 30 minutes I had the deer and my two backpacks full of gear loaded and headed to the truck.

Later that day, a buddy of mine rode around trying to catch the dogs we let out that morning.

Last edited by mr4pt; 01-20-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Work has been crappy today, thanks for a much needed smile and laugh!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kickin_buck
Work has been crappy today, thanks for a much needed smile and laugh!!!!
Is work Slow every where?

Dan
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Site Buck Guru

As far as I can tell, the only thing missing is a brand xxx super power, powdered wind checker. With that, the size of your bucks will increase dramatically!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 PM
New Sheriff

With that, the size of your bucks will increase dramatically!
Did you miss the part where I said he tipped the scales at over 100 lbs? I don't know if my deer cart is rated for much more.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ohhhh, someone pass me my meds !
Old 01-20-2010, 05:52 PM
New Sheriff

The little blue pills?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

You failed to mention your Steady Eddy and your HSS Fall Restraint System. I'm sure you use these to be ethical and so you can come home in time to eat that delicious lunch your sweetie has prepared.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

What....................No deer view mirror?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hate to tell you but it's a new year, those products are already out of date or have become recalled. You will have to upgrade all of your hunting gear again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.