HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I need advise from my fellow bowhunters! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/315304-i-need-advise-my-fellow-bowhunters.html)

okuma1 01-18-2010 11:58 PM

I need advise from my fellow bowhunters!

This is very hard for me to do but I don't know what else to do so here goes....

For several years I WAS an avid bow hunter you couldn't stop me from bow hunting and during the past few years I have just lost all desire for bow hunting. Now here is where the tuff part comes in.

About 7 years ago I was diagnosed with bipolar, OCD, General Anxiety disorder and one more disorder I can begin to spell. Since that time I go to my physicists and phycologist like clock work every month for the past 7 years. I always knew from my early teens that something just wasn't right with me but I didn't know what. I am also disabled because of this illness and it sucks.

I got my first bow at 18 years old and was hooked. I hunted and practiced hard for about 12 years, I am 35 now. When I hunted it seemed like all of my problems including my illness stayed at the truck and left me alone in the woods and it was very nice and peacefull, there where many of years I said to myself if I can just make it tell bow season I'll be alright.

Here comes another hard part again.....

One year I was gun hunting and at the point is when ever thing to do with deer hunting changed. I almost committed suicide. I know it is not the answer but I came a close as a person can without doing it. Please don't judge me on this I know it is not the answer!

I never have told anyone about this except my wife and therapist.
So this is very tuff for me to come here and talk about it.

Right now deer hunting is not fun for me because I can't leave my thoughts at the truck anymore. Yeah I still get pumped before season and go hunting some and if I see a deer I get all pumped up but when there is down time in the woods it is just you and the trees and for me that is not a good place right now and I want to get it back. I want to go out and be at peace with myself but I just can't do it.

Now I can take my kids deer hunting and have a GREAT time I just can't sit alone and do it.

The only hunting sport I can get into is spring Turkey hunting because the way I hunt turkey in the spring there is not much down time. But, I want the fall deer season to be fun again and be my "escape" again.

So I am asking you my fellow hunter if you have any suggestions at all about how I may get my deer hunting disire back please post them.

I miss this sport dearly and want it back so bad!!

kwilson16 01-19-2010 01:54 AM

Suggestion

How about deer hunting with a friend or relative? Buy a two-person ladder stand and sit in it together.

UncleNorby 01-19-2010 03:32 AM

That's a tough deal that most other people just can't fully understand. Can you chnage your deer hunting tactics, so you're hunting more like you hunt turkeys? I would also recommend hunting with other people.

3Children 01-19-2010 03:34 AM

Take one of your children out. Be a teacher, I got more out of my son shooting a deer than all the deer I have shot. You can take pictures of the art that God has created. Go to a place that you have, or can stalk your prey, pig/hog hunting is great for this. WELCOME to the site. May God bless!!

youngfart 01-19-2010 05:02 AM

Okuma 1
I can relate to what you just wrote abut the suicide thought while out gun hunting. I too am guilty of the thought, and did put the rifle to the bottom of my chin. I found God at a later stage in life and have been able to make the most of my sits among the branches of the trees up here while bow hunting. I some time have all day sits while out during the rut and spend a lot of the time talking and praying to God. I one day can visualize our God sitting on a branch next to me and having a conversation to one another. Not trying to preach here, but that is what's in my heart. When I find my self praying amongst the branches ,I find time fly's by and I can do what I need to do most while bowhunting,that's paying attention to sounds surrounding my location. Hope this helps, God Bless.
Rocky

SteveBNy 01-19-2010 05:12 AM

You did not say if you where on meds for your condition.
If so, the balance and type very well could need adjusting - what worked
yesterday might not be right now. Its a chemical imbalance in your body that
can be treated, but is an ongoing process. See another doctor for other treatments
and make sure your wife and/or someone else is totally involved to keep you moving forward.

Good luck.

jddeadeye 01-19-2010 05:36 AM

When I sit certain tree stands often times deer don't start coming in until 30 min before dark or even right at dark (what I like to call prime time). If you have a spot like this ( field edge, apple tree, ect. ) you could try getting in stand maybe an hour before that prime time to shorten the down time. Once you get used to it or start enjoying it again, you could gradually increase your time. Other than agreeing with some of the others suggestions thats all I can think of. Good luck and I hope you are able to find that peacefull fealing again.

adam11082 01-19-2010 07:48 AM

Can't say I ever have had the thoughts that you are having. I know crazy things (not suicide or bad thoughts) go through my head too if I'm alone for long period of time. My imagination starts to wander, and i catch myslef talking to myself. I have found bringing a book to read while in the stand keeps my mind in check. Good luck with everything!

bigcountry 01-19-2010 08:30 AM

God is the answer. The only answer.

I seen it myself. I have known people who has seen doctors for 5 years being on every medicine and techinque up the pike. I seen people get off of 5 different types of strong medicine with accepting Christ in thier life and prayer. Pure miracles. Right now this second, I see my wife's sister struggling. I see her try everything under the sun from light theorpy to now electric shock treatments. I see it clear as day, God is knocking at her door. A few months ago, she made fun of my wife and I going to church, mocked us. A few months ago out of the blue, she started reading the bible. She now is at a critical point.

It made me a new man. I go thru dips and hieghts. Ups and downs. The devil will always remind of your dips. The naysayers always are there to remind you of your dips. They get some sort of evil happiness when they see a Christian go thru dips in life.

I pray you can find that peace you so much desire again. Also suggest you change up your places and things that bring about these thoughts. Gun hunting may not be for you. At this time of your life.

BGfisher 01-19-2010 08:41 AM

I agree that if you are meds that they may need changhed or adjusted for more effectiveness.

Something you might try is just changing the way you hunt. Come down out of the trees and try still hunting or spot and stalk. This might channel your thoughts in another direction.

I've been treestand hunting long enough (longer than you are old) and although many might disagree, I find it quite boring; always have for the most part. I supplement this with small game and suirrel hunting where I'm on the move.

Frankly, if you have the ground or access to it the double treestand and a hunting partner is not a bad suggestion either. You could mix and match this with the spot and stalk when by yourself.

Who knows. I'm kind of in your boat, but not completely. I've just been doing it long enough that the fire burned out for sitting in a treestand and hunting in general. I found new hobbies. I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I still shoot a bow and walk the woods, but I don't have the desire to be out there when the weather is bad or get up at 5 in the morning. I've made changes in my life. Maybe that's the answer for you---who knows?