Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Carbon Express Spine question >

Carbon Express Spine question

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon Express Spine question

Old 01-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Carbon Express Spine question

I am shooting Easton Axis 340 spine currently. They are acting like they are under spined. Shooting 30in draw, 100gr tip and 29" arrow.

I would like a stiffer spine without adding any weight or VERY minimal. The carbon express selection chart lists a roughly 340 spined arrow for calculated draw weight of much higher than mine. Whats the deal. Do carbon express arrows act stiffer than Easton.

What reccomendations does anyone have.

Thanks
WV
Old 01-13-2010, 06:26 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by wvdeerhunter22
I am shooting Easton Axis 340 spine currently. They are acting like they are under spined. Shooting 30in draw, 100gr tip and 29" arrow.

I would like a stiffer spine without adding any weight or VERY minimal. The carbon express selection chart lists a roughly 340 spined arrow for calculated draw weight of much higher than mine. Whats the deal. Do carbon express arrows act stiffer than Easton.

What reccomendations does anyone have.

Thanks
WV
Depends on your bow. But a 0.340" spine is a 0.340" spine no matter what company. Stiff or weak reactions can be caused by more than being too stiff or weak. Cam lean, limb twist, tiller is out, fletch contact, but 80% of the time its bad form.

Also arrow charts are just guidelines, nothing more. You have to tune the arrow to the bow.

Give us your details, bow, year, draw weight and maybe one of us can put it in AA or ontarget.

Last edited by bigcountry; 01-13-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

Quote: Give us your details, bow, year, draw weight and maybe one of us can put it in AA or ontarget.

2009 pse x force dream season. Draw weight on scale is 70# even. Arrow is easton axis 340 at 29". 100 grn tips. Blazer 2" vanes. Shooting a caliper release. Draw length is 30". Rest is trophy taker drop away.

Quote: Stiff or weak reactions can be caused by more than being too stiff or weak. Cam lean, limb twist, tiller is out, fletch contact, but 80% of the time its bad form.

Timing marks on the cam are good. I have looked at pics and cant see cam lean. Not sure about the tiller except that timing marks are good.

Could be form.

Field tips are grouping great even out to 40 yds where any longer and Its me. Broadheads are the problem. They dive right and low.

I cant tune it out. I have done all I know to do with the rest.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Spike

Field tips are grouping great even out to 40 yds where any longer and Its me. Broadheads are the problem. They dive right and low.

I cant tune it out. I have done all I know to do with the rest.[/QUOTE]

I would have to say that a axis 340 at 29'' 70lbs 320's fps is not the right combo.I use a 400 in the axis carbon infused or a 500 axis fmj.If that is still a problem check your broadheads.People don't realize how important it is to tune and align your broadheads.I always am dead on with my field tips or my broadheads without ajusting my sights.mabe I will post pictures and how to on tuning broadheads

Last edited by blacktail4ever; 01-14-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Spike

First thing I would do is paper tune your setup. How fast is your arrow speed ? Also what kind of BH ? If you are using a fixed blade BH, then use a compact BH like a slick trick.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Quote:I would have to say that a axis 340 at 29'' 70lbs 320's fps is not the right combo.try a 400 in the axis carbon infused or a 500 axis fmj.If that is still a problem check your broadheads.People don't realize how important it is to tune and align your broadheads.I always am dead on with my field tips or my broadheads without ajusting my sights.mabe I will post pictures and how to on tuning broadheads[/quote]

I thought that the lower the number the stiffer the spine. the arrow is flying like it is underspined. 340 is the amount of flex .340" a 400 flexes .400". I was looking for a .300" spine. I think....... COuld be wrong

Also, I am past paper tuning. Normally I paper tune first, then walkback, then broadheads. I am shooting slick trick 100 grn.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Spike

the arrows I quoted are different than what you shoot.as you can see I shoot a 400 in the infused carbon and a 500 in the full metal jackets each arrow will act different in you bow.if you have paper tuned and made sure there is no vane contact you may want to try a different arrow.A 340 is a real stiff arrow.there is no reason you should have to shoot a 300. I shoot a monster XLR8 rated at 375 IBO 28'' draw at 70lbs shooting now at 334fps with the arrows quoted and I have no problems.no one should have to go stiffer than that.mabe try to paper tune at 15 to twenty yard to.also if you have different colored vanes your arrow will look as if it is flexing or wobbling. paper does not lie.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by blacktail4ever

I cant tune it out. I have done all I know to do with the rest

I would have to say that a axis 340 at 29'' 70lbs 320's fps is not the right combo.try a 400 in the axis carbon infused or a 500 axis fmj.If that is still a problem check your broadheads.People don't realize how important it is to tune and align your broadheads.I always am dead on with my field tips or my broadheads without ajusting my sights.mabe I will post pictures and how to on tuning broadheads
You want him to shoot a weaker spined arrow???? Good grief thats bad advise.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:30 AM
bigcountry

Ran the numbers on Ontarget and another program. You are slightly weak. But nothing that you shouldn't be tuning out.

have you tried different arrows with your BH's? Nothing out of the ordinary to get bad spined arrow out of a dozen. Also are you spin testing the arrow? Does the BH wobble any?

You honestly sound like you might have slight fletch contact. Blazers are taller than most. Try rotating them. I suppose your shooting c-ock down.

Do not by 400 or 500 arrows. That bow has a lot of energy.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spine in arrows

1. I shoot what the manufacturer recommends in arrows.

2. I'm in the cusp (different weights) and pick the heavier arrow.

3. I'm not interested in a slight increase in speed. If I was interested in speed, I'd just use a 30-06.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.