HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Late season weather (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/314773-late-season-weather.html)

blacktail4ever 01-11-2010 07:41 PM

Late season weather

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 6887

Attachment 6888

Attachment 6889

Attachment 6890

Attachment 6891I have been out everyday this late season archery including the early late season in the melrose unit.I have always noticed that weather has played a role in the deer movement but this year has been one where it has proven to me how much weather impacts the deer movement.I have had little action this last week excluding the one day it rained in lane county.I had seen about an average of 5 deer a day on the sunny days and on the rainy days in the twenty's.we had two weather fronts one in the early late season(melrose unit) and one last week.the first storm blew high winds and lots of rain,I rattled in several small bucks and seen tons of deer,seemed to be everywhere,I had seen probably forty deer and ten of them were bucks including a good buck i shot that will make the books:( Just curious to other opinions on this subject,I know deer are not ghost how are people seeing and still getting bucks.here are some photos of the past few yaers of bucks I have killed all during the late season in oregon Remeber these are blacktail

MeanV2 01-12-2010 03:16 PM

Congrats on the Nice Kills!

As Hunters we are definitely at the mercy of the weather.

Dan

Demo92 01-12-2010 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by blacktail4ever (Post 3552900)
I had seen probably forty deer and ten of them were bucks including a good buck i shot that will make the books:( Just curious to other opinions on this subject,I know deer are not ghost how are people seeing and still getting bucks.

sounds like u already answered ur own question if u shot one that will make the books. :happy0001:

blacktail4ever 01-12-2010 08:29 PM

everyone of the pictures exept one rack in there are all book bucks,but they were all killed on random luck until this year when I applied some new techniques.I had tried to sit and rattle moving a hundred yards or so at a time and had exelent success,but it was the weather that seemed to be the difference in the amount of animals I would see.I found fog was awesome and the 24 hours before a storm and the first day of a storm seemed to send the deer out everywhere. The snow really pushed the deer to the valleys and made patterning nearly impossable.just trying to put out what I see to mabe help others and m,yself

JNTURK 01-13-2010 01:13 AM

I hunt CA hot weather and pre-rut so I don't get the pleasure of hunting the rut. All I can do is tell you that you seem to be on the right track. There is no "right way" to figuring out Blacktail deer. Very general patterns can help you along the way, but trying to figure them out is impossible. See in CA, if it is stormy with HIGH winds the deer don't move. If it is pooring rain, they are up but under cover. If it is foggy and light rain they are out and about, and if it is right after a down pour they will be out trying to dry off. That is my experiences hunting them with bad weather, although most of my hunting is in July and August when it is hotter then a dutch oven.

Congrats on the great blacktails! that 4x4 is beautiful