Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
BowHunting Partners? >

BowHunting Partners?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BowHunting Partners?

Old 01-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post subject too.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree, if someone is offering to take you and they have all the stuff, expenses are chump change compared to the items needed and work already invested.
definitely sux when you have a mooch..there was this guy who used to just catch a ride and not chip in for gas, never took his truck, and said if they were gonna go any ways , why couldnt he ride with them. where does this guy stand?(this went of for at least a year.)

Originally Posted by AK NIMROD
I have friends i won't hunt with. they are friends not hunting partners. well i guess i'm different but my hunts are different and expensive. My hunts are 4 days to 4 weeks long. my life can be put in jepordy by a friend that is careless and unsafe in the woods or on the water, if drinking is major part of their hunt or even fishing they are not welcome in MY camp. I don't want that hassle or responsibility.
I have the proper toys to play the game in Alaska. i see no problem with them helping on fuel and food costs.
last fall. with alot of help from my son we spent a week getting mods ($$$ , needed for the trip) to truck for a month long caribou / ? sheep / moose hunt. then the day I was to leave my partner cancelled. ( son drove up 10 days later) i went and spent >$1000 for diesel for truck and gas for boat. my hunt was cut short after 3 weeks (2-3 days of caribou and my week of moose hunting were cut from plans ) My son had joined me and was involved in roll over accident on the way home, i needed to get him and our friend and all there gear the 700+ miles home. I did not return for the moose because i did not want to drive very long day and spend additional $5-600 to return to hunt area by myself.
I have had a friend refuse to take his truck up the hual road (2 days drive each way, alot of very rough road and dirt) but he is more than willing to go with me or others. doesn't want the wear and tear on his truck but ok for my newer truck. we are still friends but don't hunt together often ( not only because of that, timing of hunts have not worked out), twice in last 3 years ....we used my boat for one and my truck, camper and jet boat for the other. hunts were probably a total of 15-16 days.
i went with a friend on a brown bear hunt we used his plane ( one of the toys i don't have) i paid for all the fuel he had the expense of the air plane seemed reasonable to me but costly. such is life.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

I think what he meant by saying he was the only one bringing anything to the table was that, he was the only one putting his friend before himself at times by inconveincing himself for the good of his buddy, and never receiving that same action and effort when he was the one in need.

I have had lots of friends that have been around since i was a little kid and as we grow up i realize that most of them arent true friends who are THERE FOR YOU when you need it, alot of people simply bail when the situation no longer benefits them.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by halfrack VIII
I think what he meant by saying he was the only one bringing anything to the table was that, he was the only one putting his friend before himself at times by inconveincing himself for the good of his buddy, and never receiving that same action and effort when he was the one in need.

I have had lots of friends that have been around since i was a little kid and as we grow up i realize that most of them arent true friends who are THERE FOR YOU when you need it, alot of people simply bail when the situation no longer benefits them.
That's Very True!!

I don't think I am talking about a Mooch here but rather someone that expects too much himself. Should a friend give? Sure but what he is able to and can give are different with each individual!

I have many friends that have never been put through the fire, so to speak. The ones that have I know they are Friends for Life!

No denying that!!

Dan
Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

my hunting partner is my dad and he owes me nothing and i owe him everything!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I'm asked to hunt with some one, I "am" the guy I want to hunt with.

I will drive, I will have an extra mag lite, the spare lighter is in my pack, the pans will be clean because I will be happily do it.

After listening to some of you, its clear to me, many of you would never dream of picking up a pan and washing it when sipping coffee and whining about dirty dishes is so much easier.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Dominant Buck

After listening to some of you, its clear to me, many of you would never dream of picking up a pan and washing it when sipping coffee and whining about dirty dishes is so much easier.
I just don't wanna be the guy on "PLO" (Permanent Latrine Orderly).

It's never fun, when your golfing buddies invite you out every week......and you're the one constantly carrying the bag. We call those guys "caddies". And, my guess is they don't get the same enjoyment out of a round as the guys playing.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
I just don't wanna be the guy on "PLO" (Permanent Latrine Orderly).

It's never fun, when your golfing buddies invite you out every week......and you're the one constantly carrying the bag. We call those guys "caddies". And, my guess is they don't get the same enjoyment out of a round as the guys playing.
If I'm on the hunt I will be on "PLO" just because I would rather carry the bag than ruin a hunt.

But that doesn't mean I will ever hunt with "that guy" ever again.
Ever notice that great guys never need to look for hunting buddies?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Probably a lot of truth to that, Jim.

I had 6 friends hunt here with me, this year. I hope they all had as much fun hunting as I did hosting them.

5 had shot ops. (1 only hunted here, once).
2 of them took shots.
1 scored a doe, opening day.
1 shot at, but failed to take, the largest buck seen from my stands this year.
ALL of them ate well.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Spike

I never had a chance to experiance that situation as I always hunted alone. The only hunting Friends I have now are my wife and next year my son will be old enough to hunt so I'll have two.

Last edited by Mike L; 01-13-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.