Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
BowHunting Partners? >

BowHunting Partners?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BowHunting Partners?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default BowHunting Partners?

A know a Bowhunter (never a friend of mine) that hunted and spent time with another guy. I know at one point he had even made the statement he felt like they were brothers.

They quit hunting together and as far as I know don't even talk much anymore, at least in a constructive manner. When I asked him what happened he said the other guy just did Not bring much to the table.

I can only speculate what he meant by that, but I know I would never expect a friend to do something for me or bring something to the table so to speak. Is this anyway to pick a friend? I hope I would never pair up with another hunter hoping he would be doing something for me, or for that matter expecting me to do anything for him other than enjoy some Great hunts, tips, Conversation, etc., etc.

What's everyones thoughts on this? IMHO it seems a pretty shallow minded way tp pick a friend. I hope I never get to that point.

Dan
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess I look at this differently. I look at all my friendships on that level....and ESPECIALLY do so with "acquaintences".

It has nothing to do with material things, though (that sounds like a business).

How old would it get if you were the sole contributor to a partnership?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I'm different. I don't look at my friendships as partnerships or compare them to a business transaction in any way. I have friends that are very wealthy and I have some that are basically scraping by and barely able to pay bills. I don't expect any of them to bring anything to the table other than being a friend in return, sharing conversation, hunting tactics, stories, equipment opinions, etc., etc.

Just curious how others feel about this. Just asking Ya know

I'm sure there are some I could have guessed their feelings

Dan
Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

You twisted this ALL up (my remarks).

I guess I'm different. I don't look at my friendships as partnerships or compare them to a business transaction in any way.

I DO see them as a partnership (what else could it be)? I don't compare them (as I stated earlier) to business transactions. I stated that material goods involved would make it more like a business transaction. I don't base my friendships on what the other guy can give me.

I have friends that are very wealthy and I have some that are basically scraping by and barely able to pay bills. I don't expect any of them to bring anything to the table other than being a friend in return, sharing conversation, hunting tactics, stories, equipment opinions, etc., etc.

Common ground.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

There can be a fine line between hunting buddy and mooch IMO.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buttonbuckmaster
There can be a fine line between hunting buddy and mooch IMO.
I agree! I think most guys figure those out fairly quickly.

Dan
Old 01-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

I have friends i won't hunt with. they are friends not hunting partners. well i guess i'm different but my hunts are different and expensive. My hunts are 4 days to 4 weeks long. my life can be put in jepordy by a friend that is careless and unsafe in the woods or on the water, if drinking is major part of their hunt or even fishing they are not welcome in MY camp. I don't want that hassle or responsibility.
I have the proper toys to play the game in Alaska. i see no problem with them helping on fuel and food costs.
last fall. with alot of help from my son we spent a week getting mods ($$$ , needed for the trip) to truck for a month long caribou / ? sheep / moose hunt. then the day I was to leave my partner cancelled. ( son drove up 10 days later) i went and spent >$1000 for diesel for truck and gas for boat. my hunt was cut short after 3 weeks (2-3 days of caribou and my week of moose hunting were cut from plans ) My son had joined me and was involved in roll over accident on the way home, i needed to get him and our friend and all there gear the 700+ miles home. I did not return for the moose because i did not want to drive very long day and spend additional $5-600 to return to hunt area by myself.
I have had a friend refuse to take his truck up the hual road (2 days drive each way, alot of very rough road and dirt) but he is more than willing to go with me or others. doesn't want the wear and tear on his truck but ok for my newer truck. we are still friends but don't hunt together often ( not only because of that, timing of hunts have not worked out), twice in last 3 years ....we used my boat for one and my truck, camper and jet boat for the other. hunts were probably a total of 15-16 days.
i went with a friend on a brown bear hunt we used his plane ( one of the toys i don't have) i paid for all the fuel he had the expense of the air plane seemed reasonable to me but costly. such is life.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are 3 guys (not blood) in this world that I would give a kidney and one of them bowhunts.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

We, of course, don't know all the situations your friend speaks of so it's a little dificult to make a judgement. I will say that any healthy relationship must be a two way street. They don't have to be completely equal, such as apples for apples but each must contribute in their own way. That is why it's said in a marriage relationship that opposites attract. If a relationship is one way, after a while, the giver in the relationship will begin to feel as if they are being taken advantage of and will begin to feel resentment. The "taker", on the other hand, can become too dependent on the giver and fall into a routine of feeling as if the other person always owes them something. The things I am speaking of here are not neccessarily material, but may be of an emotional, spiritual, or intellectual nature. Maybe your friend is seeking someone like that and as it turns out, that's not what the other person is about. It is very dificult for us humans to give completely unconditional love forever. As a matter of fact, it's probably impossible. For completely unconditional love, read my signature, that's the only one I know of. One thing I'd like to add to this answer, if the two were as close as they claimed to be, they should have been able to discuss this openly and honestly. Just my .02 cents worth.

Blessings.....Pastorjim

Last edited by PastorJim08; 01-10-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Two way street

Originally Posted by PastorJim08
Dan,

I will say that any healthy relationship must be a two way street. They don't have to be completely equal, such as apples for apples but each must contribute in their own way.

Pastorjim
These are wise words (above).

The best partnerships are a cooperative effort towards a single, envisioned goal. Each partner brings different strengths and wekanesses.

Good hunting partners are easy to find.
Great hunting partners are very, very rare.
Perfect hunting partners don't exist.

I have hunted with guys that 'brought nothing to the table' and it gets old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.