Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Button Bucks?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

O.k. ? for all of you guys claiming that you wouldn't and haven't shot a button buck.......

Would you shoot a basket rack 6 - 8 pt? How about a 125" ten? If so, why is a button buck more precious?
Old 01-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

I hunted on an 'antlerless only' property and killed a button buck there. Didn't feel the least bit bad about it.

I currently hunt a property where you have to shoot an antlerless deer before you can shoot an antlered one. If the first antlerless deer that gives me a shot is a button buck, I will shoot it. If I have my antlerless deer and a BB walks by, chances are, I will give it a pass.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

O.k. ? for all of you guys claiming that you wouldn't and haven't shot a button buck.......

Would you shoot a basket rack 6 - 8 pt? How about a 125" ten? If so, why is a button buck more precious?
For me personally it's simply because I like to shoot big deer for many reasons. I like big horns and like mounts on my wall. I also eat a ton of ground meat and our butcher shops charge per deer not per pound; so I get alot more bang for my "buck", if I take in a big deer to be processed. Plus, I just like seeing deer get some age on them to see what kind of potential they have for growing a big rack. Lastly, I find it more challenging to hunt older deer , both bucks and does!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tend to let them walk. It's fairly easy where I hunt to determine if one is a button IMO.(esp if they are in bow range)

I do encourage my friends to shoot them at my cabin, if it floats their boat, esp if they have not gotten their first archery kill. I have numerous friends that aren't as dedicated to archery season as I am and they may only get out 5 or 6 times a year, if they have the chance to let'r rip on a BB, I am cheering for them and will come running to help with the recovery.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

I have been Bowhunting for 5 years now, I have taken 12 deer, one of them a button buck, and that was done by accident. I thought it was a good size doe. I have no problem taking doe fawns, as long as i can positvley ID them, in fact, in the area I hunt, we are encouraged to take any doe, fawn or adult, that walks by. It is a semi-urban area, and the deer are overpoulated.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv

they are not, i would not think about shooting any of the deer you listed.....but that was not the question
Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know for sure I've shot one BB In 24 years of bow hunting. Maybe 2, can't remember for sure. Would I do It again? No. I've passed on BB's on the last day of the season a few different times, didn't bother me none. To everyone else, shoot what makes you happy.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 125py
they are not, i would not think about shooting any of the deer you listed.....but that was not the question
What does your screen name stand for? I assumed it meant you had shot a 125 P&Y buck.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
and if I'm after meat then there are much better choices available that will provide more meat.
Perhaps so Dan, but there aren't any choices that'll provide better meat.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by LittleChief
Perhaps so Dan, but there aren't any choices that'll provide better meat.
Not looking for Better Meat in my case as I like it all. Just looking for more. I know the meat you get from a button is very little, and the cost for the finished meat regardless of amount ends up about the same.

I had a fellow check in a BB when I ran the check station in our county. As we walked out to the truck he said he shot a little one because his buddy wanted to make some soup. It still had spots on it, and it wouldn't have weighed over 50# if that. I gave him congrats.

I guess he didn't know you can cut bigger ones up to make soup meat, and he was looking for something to fit in the pot.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.