Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting? >

Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Have you ever considered trad. archery hunting?

Have you ever considered giving traditional archery a "go"?

If you have....and decided (for whatever reason)....it's just "not for me".....that's a completely valid reason.

But....if you have (considered it), what are some reservations you have that are stopping you?

Just curious.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot trad for several years....then they invented compounds.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

the problem for me is time, when i was 14 and in high school i shot every day and was very accurate, but now with work and college i dont have the needed practice time to feel sure about my shot placement.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff-

1. My shoulders would not support shooting traditional. I know you don't hold the draw as long with traditional but it's fairly painful to hold the entire weight.

2. A great majority of my bowhunting is now suburban and trad bows are prohibited by the management organization.

3. The difficulty in achieving humane kills is higher (for me). This is a personal stance related to discipline, available time for practice, terrain etc. Might not be true for everyone.

Last edited by kwilson16; 01-06-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have considered it, and am currently still in that "in limbo" phase of really wanting to hunt with it. I have a recurve that I do enjoy shooting, but I haven't made myself get proficient enough with it yet to have confidence with it to hunt, yet. Its on the docket for next season, to at least go afield with my recurve and be confident in my abilities when I'm out there. I bought a new muzzleloader in November, T/C Omega, and its a small step, but I'm going to shoot that open sights. I know, not the same, but still, a little throwback.
Trad gear is a blast to shoot, I just have to get over the mental hurdle of being happy with my groups with it as compared to my compound. With time, that will come. My best friend has won many tournies with his Widow, so I know I have a good teacher, and he has taught me well, just now the time commitment is my responsibility.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I just have to get over the mental hurdle of being happy with my groups with it as compared to my compound.
Would you expound on this? Is there an imagined or real discrepancy?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trad is what I started with 30 years ago. I was a Rookie, had no clue what I was doing, never killed anything with it because of said reasons. I still have my first recurve that my Dad had kept all those years, and Indian stalker I believe, 45# he gave it back to me several years back as well as a Bear Grizzly 45# that I now use for bowfishing I do still have that itch to get it done and keep saying im going to try it again. I might just try and stab a Doe next season but will likely go back to my training wheels if it happens. I cant get past the thought of a slammer buck at 20-30 yards and I cant shoot because its out of my comfy range Nothing wrong with it and I love seeing people who are sucessful using them
Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have pondered the idea but just never followed thru! Never ruling it out but one thing for sure is that I will not be trying it till atleast my wife is done college! I don't shoot my compounds as much as I would like now due to no time!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I only hunted deer I would probably go that route but, for now, I enjoy taking long (40-60 yds) shots at small game. To go trad would take away shooting time from that. Plus, I enjoy working on, and shooting, compounds too much right now.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to tag a deer or two eventually with trad equipment. In fact, I even have an ol' Bear Kodiak Magnum sittin' around here.

However, I just can't seem to pull myself away from the "techie" side of things. Ordering a Mathews Z7 a couple weeks ag dosn't help matters either! LOL!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.