Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Midwest hunters... >

Midwest hunters...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Midwest hunters...

Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Midwest hunters...

Now that the season is pretty much over, just wanted to ask a question. Most midwest states had a very wet fall causing standing corn fields well into November and early December, and I for 1 was pretty bummed about that. And I know alot of us were thinking this season would suck because of it....

well did it in fact decrease your "normal" sightings? I can honestly say, that once the rut got going, I didnt notice any difference than previous years.

Just curious as to how it played out for everyone else that experienced a late harvest.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

It didn't affect my Hunting or sightings much. The ground I hunt is pretty much around a hay field & pasture ground. So movement through and around the 80 acres I have to hunt is pretty consistent from year to year. The Hay field and pasture has been on this property for the last 30 years at least.

I know some of my Buddies that hunted strips around corn fields were complaining, so I am sure a lot of hunters were affected.

Dan
Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

this year there were beans around all my spots....400 acres or so!...my huting was not effected but next year could be different. Most of the ground will be in corn next year and I am hoping we have a early harvest
Old 01-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

My region and circle of huntin' friends had far fewer sightings than in previous seasons with a normal corn harvest. Many of our better hunting areas still had standing corn well into December. In fact, my own property had a few hundred acres of standing corn bordering it on 3 sides until Christmas! Although it made for some frustrating bowhunting, it also kept the gun kill totals the lowest they have been in a DECADE!!! This is GREAT news for next years buck crop!!! LOL !

I checked one of my trail cams today and can honestly say, I've NEVER collected so many buck photos of all age classes this late in the season. Next season is lookin' great already! LOL!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have CRP all around most of my ground, so the corn did not bother me a bit. The numbers were pretty much the same as last year.

I do have buddies that hunted next to standing corn and they complained all year about it. I don't really understand the problem with standing corn. I grew up hunting in northern Indiana and standing corn was common place until late Nov, early Dec. In fact, I would love to have standing corn either next to or on the property I hunt. You just have to adjust how and where you hunt. It will change their movement pattern for sure, but they can still be killed. The best part is standing corn on your property will keep the deer on your property.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

it didn't seem to effect anything for me. the only diff. between this year and last year was there wasn't as many bucks that i seen this year. even though i'm sure there is more around than i seen.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

I had corn in where i hunt up until 2 days before the shotgun seasons. I definately did notice fewer sightings, but i think it was because of lower deer populations in general. Most areas in Iowa are seeing lower populations. Not everywhere, just most.

Farm Bureau and insurance companies are having their way with the DNR. Hopefully they taper off the number of tags before it becomes a bigger concern.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

With the wet fall I got FLOODED again. That throws everything off a lot!

I read somewhere that some states are extending some seasons...better check your local DC.