Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Cold has been DEFEATED; my setup is working!! >

Cold has been DEFEATED; my setup is working!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cold has been DEFEATED; my setup is working!!

Old 01-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Banned

Well, the cost is rising in this setup, but since no one else is offering a fleece cold weather, magnet closure, open leg, bow hunting setup, I had to develop my own. I just ordered my Predator Deception Fleece for my Inferno suit, from an online supplier(Thanks to RNO for the link:thumbs_up) that has limited quantities, and it was $13 a yd. I ordered 7 yds, which is way more, according to my girlfriend, then I will need, but I want to deck out some more bow hunting items that I own with the Fleece. I will remove the 3D leafy you see. I am going to have the entire outside of the suit covered in Predator Fleece and the inside from the waist up, so that when opened to shoot, it is quiet and the animal sees nothing but predator fleece. I will post pics of the finished product hopefully soon. Although deer season is winding down, there is a lot of winter left, and predator season is going to be in full steam. I also found a supplier that puts out a winter fleece pattern, that is similiar to (Hardwoods Snow/Skyline Horizen) and I may have to make myself one of these too, so I have one for the ground too. It would work well in the tree stand too. I just prefer Predator, so I want my 1st one to be Predator Fleece.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don, Curious! What kind of temps do you encounter before you have to wear that rig to stay comfy? Just Curious?

Dan
Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned

Dan, depends on how long the set is. If an all dayer, I would bring this out for 20 degrees. It is hard to be over dressed when you are not moving. If I am just setting out for a 3 hr hunt, 20 degrees out, I would just wear my Predator fleece camo.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gotcha!

Every once in a while we have temps below normal and I have to bundle up here in extreme Southern IL, but most times it doesn't happen. Heck this year I quit hunting in IL just after Thanksgiving and never even pulled out the long underwear.

When I have hunted Dec. in NE I have stayed for the most part in a blind because I really doubt regardless how I dressed I could stay comfy in a Treestand with temps of 5 below to 25 below plus windchills to deal with.

I am still dealing with a little frostbite on 2 fingers from "08" and 25 below with windchills of 68 degrees below zero. Even though I consider myself hot natured, that weather got my attention and gave me some respect.

I am a firm believer that a person should really spend the time to find out what keeps them comfy. Because a comfortable hunter will spend longer out in the field and on stand Greatly increasing their odds at success.

Dan