Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunting from the ground with no blind!! >

Hunting from the ground with no blind!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting from the ground with no blind!!

Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

i love hunting from the ground, becoming one with a tree or a briar bush. Ive killed 5 p&y bucks this way, in fact this is the first year that i have killed a p&y from a tree stand. I just use a stool and nestle up to some cover. knowing when to move is the key!
Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
Right there with ya, Dink. I started doing this about mid-way through my '09 season. I'm gonna take one that way.....or I'm not gonna take one. I'm fine with that.

I've hunted deer off the ground with a stickbow (using a standing tree and a root ball for cover) and "almost" got a shot. I've hunted using other natural cover, as well.....with nothing to show for it............................................YET.

That's an ongoing goal of mine, though. And I'll continue to mix in ground hunts with my tree jaunts. I hope to make it happen in 2010, also. I can also see an entire season of ground hunting in my future..........no blind.

I've yet to equal the excitement of being 14yds from a whitetail with nothing between me and her.....on her level.
Jeff I can tell ya the key that has really hepled me in natural ground blinds for turks is having barriers on two sides of my blind that allows me to draw when quarry is behind them, and then wait for them to step into shooting lane. One of my blinds is a root ball crater hole (like you mentioned) Im blessed to have ALOT of small pines where I hunt that I use for my barriers. They make great back drop to to get shaded in. Good luck, I expect pics this spring
Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Jeff I can tell ya the key that has really hepled me in natural ground blinds for turks is having barriers on two sides of my blind that allows me to draw when quarry is behind them
LOL....Dink...that tactic doesn't work too well with 0% letoff!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes its a lot of fun and very tough with a bow
Old 01-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GMMAT
LOL....Dink...that tactic doesn't work too well with 0% letoff!
What the hell was i thinking lmao!! you have a point there
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

hey some great posts!!!

We all have those moments in hunting that we'll never forget, one of my all time favorites happened when hunting from the ground.

I have 5 boys, had taken the older two out deer and bear hunting, the 3 remaining boys had been out but not as much, they were buggin me one Saturday morning that i never take them...I told them to gather up some gear to sit for a few hours, they grabbed some hockey magazines, I grabbed a pop up blind, a heater and some stools and off we went. I decided to head to my archery spot, didn't have a clue how it would all play out but decided to put them in a pop up blind, close to the river so that they wouldn't be winded, got them set up with thier heater and magazines and told them not to poke thier heads out of the windows and try to be as quiet as possible...a tough job for an 8year old and two 10 year olds!!
now the problem was, where i had to put them didn't allow me to sit in one of the 3 stands i have at that location, if i wanted them to possibly see anything, i had to find a place to hunker down along the river, my only choice was to find somewhere with a bit of cover. I settled on sitting beside a big tree on the ground, I could see the boys about 60 yards to the south of me. It started to snow and blow from the north, lucky they had a heater. I had no hopes that we were going to have success but oh well they were very happy to be out. about an hour in, a doe runs past them and takes a trail about 3 yards away from me...wow i thought, maybe we will see something! about 10 minutes later another doe followed by a small forkhorn make their way by me at about 5 yards, now I am really pumped!! I look over to the ground blind and am pleased to not see 3 heads poking out the window...oh man, 50 yards behind the blind right under one of my stands is a decent buck! I grab my grunt and give it a couple of blows, then use my bleat can a couple of times...the buck spins around and starts sprinting in my direction, he passes by the boys at about 20 yards. He's coming straight at me and at about 60 yards i realize that i am going to have to draw very slowly as he's looking in my direction. I slowly pull back and at about 35 yards he stops and turns broadside, I let fly and make a great hit on him, he turns and heads into a shallow coulee. here's the best part, I turn back towards the blind and i see the three boys out of the blind doing as they called it, a happy dance...they had seen the whole thing but even better, this is how thet described it to me...we saw the buck behind us, we heard you grunt and then we saw it run right by us, we watched you draw back the bow and we saw the arrow fly at the deer and we saw it come out the other side...we knew it was a dead deer! The 4 of us tracked it and found it a short ways from where i shot it, they helped me gut it and drag it to the truck....does it get any better than that, they about that story often!!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Great Story and pictures, Ron! What a great morning for you and those boys!

Best of Luck,
Jeff

Last edited by elkmtngear; 01-04-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Typical Buck

thats an awesome story, what a great experience for all of you to share
Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted from the ground with no blind today and got a young doe. this is often what i do in late season with the bow. certainly is exciting and tough!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Spike

thats how I got my buck Im set up in between two big oaks about 3 ft apart sitting on a bucket really enjoyed it being my first year i was suprised to get one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.