Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Challenge

Old 01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to kill for numbers, but after Bowhunting for many years it's more about what I kill than how many. I honestly didn't have any room in the freezer for any does this year.
Nothing says you can't kill 2 birds with the same stone. Each hunter needs to find their own way to please THEMSELVES. That's the ONLY person we need to please, anyways. I did that, this year.

If I'd wanted to continue to base my season/success strictly on numbers......I'd have just continued to slay 'em with a compound.

Been there. Done that. Moved on.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to kill 15 or more deer a year. Honestly that gets old. I can't eat that many deer, and don't even care to drag that many out just to give away.

I started with Traditional gear back in the 60's and hunted many seasons before ever purchasing my 1st compound. I even hunted a few seasons trad after owning a compound. If Traditional gear is what someone wants to use. That's Great more power to them. To each their own! I guess I've been there, Done that!

Archery is and should be a sport that involves personal choices and I will not degrade someone for that. In either what bow they shoot or what animal they choose to tag. Those choices do Not make a compound user superior nor is a traditional archer superior in anyway either.

Killing animals with traditional gear is not that much more difficult on 90% of the shots taken. Far and away the biggest % of my kills have been under 20 yards most at 15 yards or less. The Mulie I tagged last month I shot at 4 yards.

Using Traditional gear does require much more daily practice to remain proficient out to 20/25 yards. I personally can Not shoot that much any more, because of commitments to work, etc. Also swinging a hammer for over 40 years my left elbow is pretty much shot, as is my right shoulder from falling out of a tree about 10/12 years ago. I have No trouble handling a 70# compound, I even setup and tuned an 80# bow for a customer last year.

I do choose to shoot a 60# compound for reasons listed above, much less wear and tear on the joints. I wish I had made that switch 30/35 years ago, instead of hunting with 90# & 80# bows.

When the time comes I would switch to a crossbow vs giving up Hunting. Way too much division amongst Hunters in general and Bowhunters in particular. We need to stay united, and support our fellow hunters regardless of their choice of weapons or methods as long as they are legal.

Baiting, Dogs, Trad gear, crossbows, shot distant, etc., etc. all are debated regularly and why? If they are legal then no one should have a problem with someone that chooses to use that weapon or method.

I have hunted Bears over bait and have No desire to hunt any other method. It is exciting and allows a hunter the chance to look over many bears. Any other type of Bear hunting with a Bow in most of the Black Bears range would be fairly fruitless.

Don't think a Trophy Bear is a push over because you just go out and throw some goodies on the ground. They don't live to attain Trophy status by being stupid

I've never hunted Whitetails over bait, but have hunted White Oak trees, small picked corn fields, small food plots, etc. Is there a difference between that and in Texas where they spread shelled corn out in an opening? Not to me there is Not! I'm sure they would love to be able to plant food plots, and/or corn fields if they had the rainfall to support it.

Bowhunt!! Enjoy! It's a wonderful sport!! I support any hunters as long as they abide by the game laws where they hunt, regardless of their choice of weapons, or method they hunt, etc.

Dan
Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MeanV2
I've never hunted Whitetails over bait, but have hunted White Oak trees, small picked corn fields, small food plots, etc. Is there a difference between that and in Texas where they spread shelled corn out in an opening? Not to me there is Not! I'm sure they would love to be able to plant food plots, and/or corn fields if they had the rainfall to support it.

Dan
Your my guy, but I disagree Dan, I can go place a stand on the edge of a 200 acre corn/bean field....and hope a deer either walks along the field edge or comes down the one trail, out of 50 that lead into the field that I am on.

In Texas or other states where baiting is legal, your sitting over a feeder thats timed and spreads a 15-20' circle of corn, and is usually the main food source deer prefer, so they get conditioned as to when that timer goes on and off, so a hunter could literally arrive at his stand 5-10 minutes before the feeder is set to go off.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

my personal challange was to get a P & Y Caribou. i have posted a couple times all the problems i had during the 3 weeks of the 4 week hunt. that was cut short. bottom line ...I believed my range finder and over shot a difinate p&y?????maybe b&c bull. so i did not complete the goal i had hoped for. such is life, and bowhunting.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Yes I did.

Took several hunting, one that who had never hunted. Always a goal of mine ever year to get someone there first deer.

Harvested a good buck and took several does.

Was a good year for me.

Most of all I had fun hunting.
DB
Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by OklaBowhunter
Took several hunting, one that who had never hunted. Always a goal of mine ever year to get someone there first deer.

Harvested a good buck and took several does.

Was a good year for me.

Most of all I had fun hunting.
DB
DB,
I agree! THat's what it's all about getting new people and kids in particular hooked on Archery/Bowhunting.

Dan
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Dan:

Somehow....you took what I posted as "degrading" (since you referenced it right after my post)????

I started with Traditional gear back in the 60's and hunted many seasons before ever purchasing my 1st compound. I even hunted a few seasons trad after owning a compound.

I've seen you reference this.....more than once. I LOVE seeing all bowkills...and I'm particularly partial to traditional bowkills. I'd love to see some of your past trad. kill pics. Post 'em up!

If Traditional gear is what someone wants to use. That's Great more power to them. To each their own! I guess I've been there, Done that!

LOVE to see those pics!

Those choices do Not make a compound user superior nor is a traditional archer superior in anyway either.

Sounds like something I'd say (have said).

Killing animals with traditional gear is not that much more difficult on 90% of the shots taken. Far and away the biggest % of my kills have been under 20 yards most at 15 yards or less. The Mulie I tagged last month I shot at 4 yards.

Well....now you're straying from reality, a little. Here's how I'll prove it to you.

How much practice does it take for you to become proficient at 20yds. with your compound? Now....how much practice does it take for you to become AS proficient with a recurve/longbow? I've said it before...and I'll say it, again. There's NO DIFFERENCE in 20yds and in hunting with ANY weapon. THE difference is the amount of work the hunter has to put in to become proficient with his weapon of choice (be that a traditional bow....a compound....a crossbow....or a rifle).

If using a traditional bow was as easy as some make it out to be, we'd see a LOT more people utilizing them. I mean heck....they're (on average) cheaper....cheaper to maintain (my re-string costs me <$20).....and heck, they just look cooler layin' across a deer's body! (just kidding..........................kinda).
Old 01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by solocamcan
Your my guy, but I disagree Dan, I can go place a stand on the edge of a 200 acre corn/bean field....and hope a deer either walks along the field edge or comes down the one trail, out of 50 that lead into the field that I am on.

In Texas or other states where baiting is legal, your sitting over a feeder thats timed and spreads a 15-20' circle of corn, and is usually the main food source deer prefer, so they get conditioned as to when that timer goes on and off, so a hunter could literally arrive at his stand 5-10 minutes before the feeder is set to go off.
Disagreement is fine! I understand where you are coming from. Have you ever hunted TX? I haven't but I won't diss their method of hunting because it's legal where they hunt and it's what they know.

I have hunted 20/30 yards from a single White Oak tree that was loaded with acorns and getting pounded by Whitetails. I'm sure many would consider that a bait, and I guess it is.

My point is we as Archers/Bowhunters need to be more united as unlikely as that seems. Why should I care how someone hunts in another state as long as it is legal in that state?

Even though I may not agree with a particular method I won't diss it. I always figured I need to walk in someone elses paths for a while before I try to judge them.

Just my opinion!!

Dan
Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Spike

My goal this year was to let the young bucks walk and only take a mature buck . I also wanted to take a doe in late season from a new stand location.
Well, I have let the young ones walk as well as an early season doe. I have not had the chance to harvest a mature buck as of yet, and I am still working on the doe.
I am trying to stay possitive and hope for the best. Either way, I enjoy the time spent in stand and in the woods.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NewEnglander
My goal this year was to let the young bucks walk and only take a mature buck . I also wanted to take a doe in late season from a new stand location.
Well, I have let the young ones walk as well as an early season doe. I have not had the chance to harvest a mature buck as of yet, and I am still working on the doe.
I am trying to stay possitive and hope for the best. Either way, I enjoy the time spent in stand and in the woods.
Enjoying it is what's all about! Good Luck!!

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.