Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Ben Pearson Documentary >

Ben Pearson Documentary

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ben Pearson Documentary

Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Spike

Lightbulb Ben Pearson Documentary

Hello everyone

My name is Lee. I'd like to introduce myself.

I grew up in the same city that Ben Pearson built, at one time, the largest archery company in the world.

I grew up shooting compound bows and just this last week I picked up a vintage Ben Pearson KM Special. Unfortunately I found a problem with it after I had it restrung. There is about a 1/4'' buldge in the glass when tension is added after stringing the bow. If anyone can give me a tip on how to mend it or if a dab of superglue would help hold it together then let me know.

But I'm researching for documentary I'm going to make about Ben Pearson and his contributions to archery and bow hunting.

I'd like to know if any of you fine folks have had experience with those bows in your youth and what your feelings are about them. Unfortunately Pearson has kind of faded away since his death in 1971 and I don't believe he was as big of a personality as Fred Bear with marketing himself.

But he did organize the first professional prize tournaments for archers, the Ben Pearson Open, to help promote the sport. Aside from selling the first archery sets on wide scale with his company he also helped innovate the use of fiberglass in recurve bows.

I want to make sure future generations know of the man and hopefully inspire new people to pick up the sport of archery or even go out on the limb and start their own companies. Who knows, maybe they can build an internationally successful company as well.

Anyway I will be popping in and out on here and I'd like to get to know you folks.

Take care

Last edited by Sam_Adams; 12-29-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ben Pearson was the man! One of my 1st bows was a BP Colt. I wanted one so bad after watching a show with him pheasant hunting and knocking birds out of the air. Here's a link to some of his catalogs listing most of his bows...ya might find it interesting
btw,welcome to HNI

http://www.archeryarchives.com/pearson1.html
Old 12-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by JimPic
Ben Pearson was the man! One of my 1st bows was a BP Colt. I wanted one so bad after watching a show with him pheasant hunting and knocking birds out of the air. Here's a link to some of his catalogs listing most of his bows...ya might find it interesting
btw,welcome to HNI

http://www.archeryarchives.com/pearson1.html
you wouldn't happen to know what show that was would you? I know he has home films but if he was on some TV shows that would be cool too.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a Person Vigilante last year. Its not old, I think it a 2007 and a limited production or test bow, something like that. I really like the bow so far.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sam_Adams
you wouldn't happen to know what show that was would you? I know he has home films but if he was on some TV shows that would be cool too.
I was pretty young at the time but I'm thinking "The American Sportsman". For some reason,that sticks in my headHere's a video of Ben doing some aerial shooting

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...;f=95;t=000001

Last edited by JimPic; 12-31-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by JimPic
I was pretty young at the time but I'm thinking "The American Sportsman". For some reason,that sticks in my headHere's a video of Ben doing some aerial shooting

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...;f=95;t=000001
I had sent Jr. an e-mail the other week but I didn't get a response.

I will call him next week. I don't want to disturb him and his family during New Years.

I'm excited about trying to make this thing happen. I just have to try my hardest.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh Ben Pearson-one of the people who inspired my long journey in Bowhunting & Archery. i only wish I had kept all the things I had in the early years about him & Fred Bear.
I started in Archery in 1956 shooting my 1st Deer in 1958 & STILL Bowhunting.
After getting out of the Navy/Marines in Nov. of 1963 I started my 1st Archery Shop in my home. By the end of 1964 I had my 1st full time shop & indoor lanes. My number one BOW for sale was Ben Pearson & heavy with the Golden Soveriegn line when it was introduced along with a wide variety of Pearson accessories.
If memory serves me correct-Ed Rhode of the Quad Cities shot a 300 round in one of my Pro/Am tounaments with a Golden Soverign. Anyway, Pearson was a leader in Quality tackle in those days. If they load following is some kills with Pearson Bows by me in the 60s...
One article I remeber about him that stuck in my mind was him shooting @ ducks with his bow. I seem to remeber he took over 100 shots b/4 connecting. This was on a flyway, not settling in on Decoys...
Ws. Deer & 60# Pearson Mustand
Attached Thumbnails Ben Pearson Documentary-scan0001.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Golden Soverign 60" 65#s I think 1964 -my 1st horns 2x1
Attached Thumbnails Ben Pearson Documentary-scan0003.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another from the 60s, in front of my 1st full time shop & 6 pointer on the car with a Pearson...
Attached Thumbnails Ben Pearson Documentary-scan0022.jpg  
Old 12-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

And the last from early 60s & the same Golden Soverign. 2x2 Buck
Attached Thumbnails Ben Pearson Documentary-scan0008.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.