Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
A few "why" questions.... >

A few "why" questions....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A few "why" questions....

Old 12-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A few "why" questions....

ill just admit that i have alot of free time and i had a few questions pop into my head....like why do people shoot 70+ poundage on their bows....40 is enough to kill a deer but when its cold outside and they already struggle to get it back its just impossible...i shoot 50lbs for the record...

also why is there 6 or more arrow quivers....i see on tv where quivers are full of arrows and in pics everywhere...i carry 2 arrows...whats the point of carrying 6 arrows when the most you will need is 2?? one for an initial shot and the other for a follow up shot or another shot if you missed the first time...the additional 4 are just dead weight to carry around and get snagged on....
Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

As for the poundage. I shoot 64 lbs. I think it is just knowing you have enough. But, not uncomfortable.

Now the arrows, I agree on that. I carry a quiver full of arrows, total of three.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

What If you Miss on the follow up shot after missing the first shot? I missed a follow up shot on a spike a few years ago and had 3 arrows, I got super lucky and put the 3rd in the boiler room. just goes to show you you never know whats going to happen.

Ryan.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kwaldeier
...when the most you will need is 2?? one for an initial shot and the other for a follow up shot or another shot if you missed the first time...the additional 4 are just dead weight to carry around and get snagged on....
Suppose you miss a deer entirely and can't find that arrow? That leaves you with only one arrow left. Now suppose you shoot another deer with that last arrow and it's a spine shot, which is possible since you already missed a shot! That deer is just laying there helplessly and in pain, but still alive. What now? I hope you don't mind cutting throats!!
I always bring 4 arrows into the field.

Last edited by early in; 12-27-2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Well I only pull 60 pounds and think it is about perfect for myself. Nothing wrong with being overpowered as long you don't sacrifice accuracy, which I am sure some people do, but it is a choice they make.

As far as arrows go, I have a quiver of three, but I understand the need for more. I have seen fletchings just fall off arrows when they get exposed to the elements out there because the glue didn't like the environment and stuff like that. I also once watched Monster Bulls 6 or 7 and watched a certain Bone Collector personality come on up on his downed giant bull who was still alive. I don't exactly remember how many more arrows he put in the downed bull, but it was at least two more trying to finish it off more humanely.

We are all entitled to our own choices and opinions, that is what makes this country great!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 60 lbs but I would probably shoot more if my shoulders permitted. This is a very personal choice depending on physique, deer size, time available to practice etc, etc.

I carry three arrows. 6-8 seems kinda extreme to me. Two is pretty skimpy cause I have used three plenty of times (multiple deer).
Old 12-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Spike

I used to bring 2 arrows with me and one day I shot at a doe and didn't see this little twig in the way and clipped it and missed. The deer ran about 15 feet and stopped so I guess she didn't have a clue i shot at her. I got her with the second arrow. Now about 15 minutes into my wait for her to expire a very nice 10 pointer walked out of nowhere, guess what, I was out of arrows so now the quiver holds 4 arrows. I still get depressed to this day.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

my quiver only holds 4..i wish i had more the day 40 hogs came runnin in..i only got 4 hogs instead of 8..which was a blessing after i started cleaning lol...70lbs? because it makes me feel better bout that 40 yard shot.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot at 42 lbs. currently due to shoulder surgery. I think I'm ready to move it back to 50, but when I first got the bow I couldn't pull it. I'd like to work up to 55 or 60 as I can really see and arc at 40 yards, and it seems to take forever to get there. I usually carry 3 arrows.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

a lot of hunters crank their bows way up because by december and Jan they have already quit hunting for the year so they dont have to worry about getting it back with a lot of clothes on. I pull 63 lbs and its no trouble to get back with a lot of layers on for me.

I remember when I was a kid I took three shots at a doe and missed all 3. Good thing i had more arrows to finish hunting. Bringing only two is foolish in my opinion. I take 5

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.