Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3 or more pins?

Old 12-24-2009, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default 3 or more pins?

Hey all, I must confess to ignoring my Bow lately due to Gun season. I took it out today to do some practice shooting and was doing pretty well. Up to this point I've only been comfortable shooting to 30 yards, but I want to get better at longer distance. I have a 3 pin sight set at 10, 20, and 30. Today I took some shots at 40, and did much better than I figured I would. For aiming purposes I was holding my 30 yard pin high, but had trouble keeping each shot the same. I think it's time to get a sight with more pins. The one I have was a cheap one, so I don't mind replacing it. I was also thinking I'd like to have one with a level on it to help me hold the bow more consistently. So what do ya'll use. 1 pin, 5 pin, level, no level?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess I will help you out. I was in the same boat as you. So I bought the super slam. 5 pin all finger adjustable super bright even without the light. When I bought it gander mounted it for me so when I got home I took it out side in near dark and checked it all out. With the light off you can see till 1/2 to a hour after day ok. If you turn the light on you could hunt 24 if you could see the deer. This thing is bright. Which is what I wanted as my old one was not to bright. It was also cheap so easy to toss. I like it alot now the issues I have had. One was my pin colors where off from my old sight I mistakenly used the 40 for a 28 yard shot and missed. My fault not the sight. Second gander being the retards they are left the thing loose. I am guessing because it hand tightens so he did not put enough behind it. This cause a few problems. I missed two does and hit one in the leg because as I started hunting and climbing and such it moved. I tightened it and no issue.
I would buy this sight over and over. It cost 100 bucks so it is alittle high but well worth the money. Here is the link for cabelas that the same price I paid at gander.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1
Old 12-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I would stay with 3 pins,just bump your 10 yd pin up to 20 yds,20yd to30yd,30yd to 40yd.most pins are green,yellow and red.With most bows shoot pretty straight for 1st 20 yds so really no need for a 10 yd pin.Besides was told 1 time green means go ahead and shoot in low light at 20 yds,yellow meant use a some sense at 30 yds in low light and red meant Stop you idiot if you are shooting in real low light at a deer at 40 yds.made sense back then and does still today.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

This makes since to. I planned on 20 30 40 50 and 60. Shortly after I realized 60 was just to far so now I plan on 20 30 35 40 45 maybe 40 50. My reflex is stays flat to 20 then drops some at 30 at 40 I can watch my arrow all the way and really think about the shot. Hate to think how much time I would have at 60. Makes me wonder how much the deer can think about the noise as well.
Originally Posted by nys-buckstalker
I would stay with 3 pins,just bump your 10 yd pin up to 20 yds,20yd to30yd,30yd to 40yd.most pins are green,yellow and red.With most bows shoot pretty straight for 1st 20 yds so really no need for a 10 yd pin.Besides was told 1 time green means go ahead and shoot in low light at 20 yds,yellow meant use a some sense at 30 yds in low light and red meant Stop you idiot if you are shooting in real low light at a deer at 40 yds.made sense back then and does still today.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

3 pins. 20( the 10 and 20 aare usually the same, depending on your draw weight and length) 30 and 40. I do use a level, I find that I do check it quite often.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Spike

I have a Cobra 5 pin, it did have a level on it but it fell off. With more pins it will make you a lot more accurate. I like it really well, Cobra makes a really good sight.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use, sell, & recommend the HHA line of single pin rear slider sights. Less confusion, more field of view, and spot on aiming.

For Multi pin sights the Viper line of sights is an excellent choice as is Spot Hogg.

Dan
Old 12-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Spike

I have a 5 pin with level but use 4 (20, 30, 40, 50).
Old 12-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I use a red dot scope. It amounts to a single pin. If I were you, I would move to a single pin and make adjustments in your aiming from there. When was the last time you shot a bb gun? A shotgun? You don't use multiple pins on your gun now do you?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

single pin slider for me, after having several multi. pin sights. Simply slide it to the yardage, put the pin on target and shoot. No more "gap" shooting. Fewer pins so you don't have to thnk about which pin is the correct one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.