HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   second succesful non kill hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/312973-second-succesful-non-kill-hunt.html)

m9a9g9i9c 12-20-2009 08:47 AM

second succesful non kill hunt

Well, I got invited to the same reserve I hunted this november.
I could shoot 4 wild boar and a badly shot and wounded doe which was roaming the 10 square mile fenced property.
The ranger who takes care of the animals told me there was a sweet spot to put up the treestand in the corner of a roadcrossing. So within half an hour I saw 4 boar shooting past behind me, cutting the corner of the crossing. After another hour two more did the same. So I decided to change tactics and move to the other road and put up the stand where the pigs went into the brush.
I was set up in the stand being quiet and then a big herd of red deer decided to halt in front of my previous spot. I could see the gunshot doe inbetween the branches but no shooting opportunities. I saw her hind leg shot open, still bleeding and badly swollen, but she followed the herd on three legs as if it was the natural way to move.
Around three o'clock a big boar came up running and stopped at the other side of the corner behind a big oak. he was looking at me and I drew back, his vitals still behind the tree. It was freezing, -12 degrees celcius and I wasn't prepared for the difficulties these temperatures bring with them. My finger couldn't find the trigger of my release and the pig took advantage and raced under my stand.
Pigs 1, Frank 0
I had a hard time climbing down the tree, so cold.
On the way back to the cabin we saw three wild boar crossing the road behind the cars and we took our bows and went on a stalk.
I followed the road and two other hunters combed back the stretch of forest between the fence and the road.
I could see the biggest one of the two pigs hesitate to get going and I sat down in a little ditch beside the road.
The pig started to run and I drew back. in a straight line he came running towards me and just before he was in the open he went hard left and ran up to the cabin suprising the other hunters on the porch getting the bbq going.
Every one wished the had there bows in hand except a hot cup of coffee of brandy.
All in all, without having any kills ( a friend of mine got a hit but it was too dark to find the boar, so they are going to look for it today. ) I loved to see so much wild boar.
But they are on my 'to do' list now and I can't wait for another shot at them.

Frank
Belgium

AK NIMROD 12-20-2009 10:56 AM

great account of your hunt lots of game just takes time. hope your friend locates the boar and your luck improves.
Do they use dogs for tracking? if so which breed?
Pat - Alaska

m9a9g9i9c 12-21-2009 08:59 AM

man driven boarhunt

Pat,

they use a method called poussée silencieuse, which means they have trackers who just walk through the woods in a line, no noise, no dogs. The deer and pigs just stay in front of them.
This is a good way for deer but the wild boars tend to wait and hide until the trackers are too close. And then they shoot passed your treestand. In normal conditions you can take a shot but when your numb from the cold they have the advantage.
I have some friends/hunters who have rough haired teckels for tracking and a german terrier species they use to spike the boars with ( keep them in one spot ).
Only rifle hunts with the dogs, they don't trust bowhunters to take a shot when the dogs are around the pigs.

realhunter64 12-21-2009 06:07 PM

It sounds like you need to take some hand warmer packs with you the next time. Just stick them in your coat pockets and stick your hands in. Your hands stay nice and warm ready for show time when the game come in. God bless the beast and the feast! Good luck hunting brother. Sounds like you still had a heck of a good time.

MeanV2 12-21-2009 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by realhunter64 (Post 3535937)
It sounds like you need to take some hand warmer packs with you the next time. Just stick them in your coat pockets and stick your hands in. Your hands stay nice and warm ready for show time when the game come in. God bless the beast and the feast! Good luck hunting brother. Sounds like you still had a heck of a good time.

Good Advice!!

Dan

m9a9g9i9c 12-21-2009 10:43 PM

I had 4

I had 2 handwarmers in each pocket, but from getting my hands out of them and into full draw, wasn't fast enough to get a good aim. These pigs move like small freight trains through the brush.