Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
QDM - Does kills - Doing the right thing >

QDM - Does kills - Doing the right thing

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

QDM - Does kills - Doing the right thing

Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Spike

Default QDM - Does kills - Doing the right thing

I recently was reading about a hunter in MI who does QDM and from the looks of it takes pretty good bucks. The hunter is Shawn Misener from BHPtv.

Watching some of this videos and him talking he suggest letting the little bucks go so they can grow. I can't agree more. To many times we as hunters decide to shoot a spike or a small buck...why? Why not just shoot a doe?

We have to make the right call at the time. And sometimes it is hard to pass but why not do other things like Video tape the animal instead of shoot them?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Banned

lol..video..thats cool...i would video, if i had a vid cam capable of taking the weather and bumping and banging from camp...some guys dont care about a rack..wheather its cause they just wanna kill, or they are meat eaters, doesn't mean they are doing any wrong. they have , just as you do, the right to lawfully take game as they choose.

definitely letting em go lets em get bigger. if thats what you are about, then you should do that..even though the other guy on the other side of the fence is blasting them as soon as they walk over there, doesn't mean you have too.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree but many seem to have some sort of need to just kill something. Also, many are simply not good enough "hunters" that they could get more than a deer or two within range all season. To often they believe that "If I don't shoot it, somebody else will", it's sad that no matter scientific PROOF we can offer them.... it just doesn't seem to alter their uneducated choices!

You'll also find, that for the reasons mentioned above, on this Forum, QDM just doesn't go over to well here. It's a sad truth. Unfortuantely, it's also why MANY states have begun enforcing Antler Restrictons simply due to hunters lack of cooperation and their inability to work together for a greater cause!
Old 12-19-2009, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
I totally agree but many seem to have some sort of need to just kill something. Also, many are simply not good enough "hunters" that they could get more than a deer or two within range all season. To often they believe that "If I don't shoot it, somebody else will", it's sad that no matter scientific PROOF we can offer them.... it just doesn't seem to alter their uneducated choices!

You'll also find, that for the reasons mentioned above, on this Forum, QDM just doesn't go over to well here. It's a sad truth. Unfortuantely, it's also why MANY states have begun enforcing Antler Restrictons simply due to hunters lack of cooperation and their inability to work together for a greater cause!
I've said this for a long time. Why shoot a 1 1/2 old buck? If someone hasn't killed a buck before then Ok, but there should be a progression with the quality of Bucks you take. What if you go a year without tagging a buck? So What!!

There should be plenty of does around to Hunt. You want a challenge and an accomplisment to be proud of?

Kill an Alpha Doe!!

That's just what I plan on trying to do if my BowTech Destroyer comes in before season is out.

Dan
Old 12-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why limit it to 1.5 bucks. Why not make it 5.5 yo old or older - a true mature animal.
A 2.5 is just a young one - if mature deer are the goal, shooting a 2.5 is no different then a 1.5, a bb, a 3.5 or most 4.5.

Or we could let hunters hunt for what their own goals are and quit telling them they are wrong or just bad hunters.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive killed more than a few decent racked 3-4 year old bucks in the past several years, but I would have been happy to wack the little spike that almost came into bow range this morning ,and i wouldnt have felt one bit of shame over it and i certainly wouldnt care what anyone else thought about it either, why? cause Ive hunted hard for the past 2 weeks, freezing in a treestand, and getting busted by every deer that comes within 60 yds. to me its not the size of the buck that matters most, its the size of the hunt and the memories I make. thats why i hunt, not just to throw another rack on the pile.

oh and spare the ,"im ruining others chances to kill a whopper by killing a spike" because no one else hunts where i do,and even if there was, theres plenty of bucks for everyone.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

there was a time here in NJ we had deer all-over the place I mean it wasn't uncommen to see 50 or more deer per day, and still I saw some good bucks. About 12 plus years ago the NJ Fish & Game got a bright idea, unlimited antlerless deer to be taken by bow, muzzleloader, and shotgun hunters (2009 crossbow hunters came into the mix), also back then they allowed the hunts to go from early September thru mid Febuary, and of course we can't forget the bait piles they allow (i'm not for bait hunting). It seemed like a great idea and it needed to be done for the well being of the herd, and the hunters did what needed to be done. Well after all these years the hunters in NJ are bitching that the state needs to trim the seasons time span as well as getting rid of the unlimited antlerless hunts and have stricter harvest, the hunters understand that they did the job, and want to see more deer, of course the actions the state allowed improved the size of the bucks. The state will never listen to the hunters, simple reason is, money
Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Why limit it to 1.5 bucks. Why not make it 5.5 yo old or older - a true mature animal.
A 2.5 is just a young one - if mature deer are the goal, shooting a 2.5 is no different then a 1.5, a bb, a 3.5 or most 4.5.

Or we could let hunters hunt for what their own goals are and quit telling them they are wrong or just bad hunters.
Cause you have to start somewhere

In most areas there are No 5.5 year old bucks unless you are one of the fortunate few to hunt higly managed prime land.

Dan
Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Ive killed more than a few decent racked 3-4 year old bucks in the past several years, but I would have been happy to wack the little spike that almost came into bow range this morning ,and i wouldnt have felt one bit of shame over it and i certainly wouldnt care what anyone else thought about it either, why? cause Ive hunted hard for the past 2 weeks, freezing in a treestand, and getting busted by every deer that comes within 60 yds. to me its not the size of the buck that matters most, its the size of the hunt and the memories I make. thats why i hunt, not just to throw another rack on the pile.

oh and spare the ,"im ruining others chances to kill a whopper by killing a spike" because no one else hunts where i do,and even if there was, theres plenty of bucks for everyone.
I agree 100%, Why do people care so much what other people want to shoot.. Honestly!! I passed on 20+ bucks this year (with my bow) and did harvest 2 bucks and shot a few does as well.. But to tell someone what to shoot and look down on them about what they shot is nuts.. Its all about the time in the outdoors, the memories, and the times you spend with family and friends.. So what if someone is excited about a spike or a 3-pt, I say congrats on the awesome animal you just harvested. I can't help but sit back and laugh at guys like "CORNFED", which does nothing but talk **** about what people choose to harvest.. What people do on their own property is up to them and how they decide to manage it is also their choice.. Just because I may choose to pass a buck one night doesn't mean my father should or my son and or even my buddies, its their hunt and we treat every harvest like it was a trophy!! And people like cornfed may say well thats why you don't have any mature "big" bucks, well I say lets compare trophy rooms!! honestly, you guys make to much of this QDM junk, have fun and enjoy the outdoors...
Old 12-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why does it matter? Alot of people are true meat hunters. Maybe they just want to kill something. They every right in the world to do so. Leave them alone. Maybe the only deer they saw all season was that spike?

Now yes, it is very aggrivating to practice QDM, just to have you neighbors shoot them all. I understand that, very personally.

I am a witness for both sides. I have friends that truly are meat hunters, that legitametly need the meat for their family. Me on the other hand, I practice QDM because I am fortunate enough to be able to. Yes it is aggrivating to have your neighbors shoot them all, but I understand completely if they do.

Even if they don't need the meat for their families, they still have every right to shoot whatever they want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.