Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
anybody else noticing a major decrease in their deer numbers >

anybody else noticing a major decrease in their deer numbers

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anybody else noticing a major decrease in their deer numbers

Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our gun kill total were the lowest in a DECADE!!! Do you suppose your "big cat" is eating all of our deer ?!? LOL! You're not serious are you?

I think the latest corn harvest in nearly 100 years and some crazy weather had a LOT more to do with the low deer sightings than ANY other factor.

It certainly isn't some mass over-kill or anything like that.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Spike

Our camp numbers are down about 50% from years past. Hunting is very hard right now, nobody is seeing many deer. Basically no bucks being seen.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i havent noticed any changes over the last several years
Old 12-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw 3 all archery season. I don't remember how many hunts but it was over 25 so. And I'm hunting blair county, pa.

Ryan.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

way, way down here in New Jersey. Reasons are, that for the last 12 plus years the state allowed in most of the state hunters to take unlimited antleless deer with the bow, muzzleloader and shotgun (they added crossbows this year) and the hunts start as early as 2nd or 3rd Saturday in September and ends in mid Febuary, they also allow hunting over bait. The hunters with 15 years and less here in NJ feel the state is doing a hell of a job, little do they know that the herd was in great numbers with some big bucks, the bucks are bigger these days. I don't blame these hunters I blame the state, cause they aren't looking at the herd for there well being or for the hunters hunt, they are looking at making money. Of course the bears and coyotes are out of hand and they are killing the deer herd off
Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen more deer this year, and had more deer within range this year than any year before....cant complain at all about my season.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

I saw twelve deer in the first four weeks of bow season, and only one buck a small spike,in years past I saw that many in a day! We have had CWD reported in our area and the DNR has been taking so called test subjects all year long,between that and the urban sprawl intruding on there habitat our numbers are way down! Our rifle season numbers were half what they were last year,sure hope next season is better,I will be looking for a lease on 50-100 acres somewhere out of the CWD containment area to bowhunt next year!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seeing plenty here.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dam climate change it is killing all the deer. Lol I would guess it is area to area. Could be weather related. It might just be one of those years. I saw 10xs more deer then last year. Though i only saw 5 last year.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find this subject kind of funny. Hunting Jefferson Co the last two years, my numbers have been higher than ever before. Both for sheer number of deer and quality of bucks. However, my buddy who is hunting a lease I was on for a few years in Calhoun Co has claimed terrible numbers the last two years.

I checked the DNR page and yes the numbers are down, but I would not say they are super low.

during the first and second Firearm season this year, 99,419 deer were harvested. This is down from the 2008 Firearm season, which produced 105,595. However, the Muzzleloader season seen the number bounce back and were almost identical to 2008's numbers, which were 4,310 in 2008 and 4,697 in 2009.

The last two years the crops have been in the fields later than normal. I think this has people more messed up than a big cat or any other factor. There are almost no crops around me in Jefferson Co and I think this is why I have not seen the decline or been effected as much as others have been.

Just my $.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.