Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Best Camo pattern and Fit for bowhunting >

Best Camo pattern and Fit for bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Camo pattern and Fit for bowhunting

Old 10-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Spike

I wear Real Tree AP, but if Scent Loc would make that vertigo in more items I think that would be the ticket. Just too high priced yet for me, but the contrast is spot on. Deer are foresters so regardless it is the contrast and outline break up.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone know if you can get the Vertigo pattern without the fabric impregnated with carbon (Scent Lok apparel)? I use Mossy Oak new break up currently but would like to try Vertigo but without the carbon.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-08-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 AM
Spike

I don't think you can, i have searched all over. And the only items they have are the 5 or 6; hat, gloves, bibs, coat, the hooded jacket, and pants. That is all I have seen being sold anyway. In the tan and gray..

Last edited by eerdog; 10-08-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

It depends where you live, But I recommend Kings Shadow Camo for any type of hunting.
In my opinion they have the best patterns availible.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered an ASAT 3d suit. I'll see how effective it is when I get it. I like predator too.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Spike

Of all the camo patterns i have seen, asat is probably the best, especially when you see it at a distance, because up close it doesnt seem to be quite as pretty. They have pictures on their site comparing it to some others and when you look for the guy in asat, sometimes it takes forever to find the person!

http://www.asatcamo.com/2_2_testphotos.htm#location1

they are also really affordable at bugsnbullets.com...they are also a versatile camo that comes in cotton and synthetic.

http://www.bugsnbullets.com/ASAT_Cam...og_mid_44.html
Old 12-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Mez, what does BDu stand for?

CVG Ohio
Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Spike

I guess since this is my first post I'll introduce myself. A lil background on myself. My name is Adam and I'm currently serving in the military. To answer the question on what does BDU stand for it's Battle Dress Uniform and is the old camo the Army used to wear the new version is named ACU for Army Combat Uniform. It's actually not the best type of camo and actually scored lower on tests of how well it conceals. A better military style camo would be the Multicam type of camo. I'm actually looking to buy a set or 2 to use wen i get back and possibly the old style of camo as well.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

This last season I tried a few camo patterns and still have a lot to try. Here is what I found:

King's Camo Desert Shadow - blended in really well in the early season and provided a good level of breakup

ASAT Camo - During late September through October when everything is dead and dry and the snow hasn't started to fly it matched perfectly. I had many comments from my hunting buddies that it was impossible to pick me off. When I used it in early season I was picked off in a treestand by a doe as everything else was so green.

Winter Ghillie suit - kneeled on the ground in the snow and had two big does walk within 15 yards and lay down for a bit. However I realized that the strings on the Ghillie suit got tangled in my bow constantly and it was a bit bulky.

Mossy Oak Break-up - This was hit and miss. I seemed to be ok in the trees, but when I was on the ground I was picked off along a field edge. Might have been my fault, but this pattern doesn't really match the boreal type of forest I hunt in.

Realtree AP-HD - Matches my hunting area better. Everyone in my hunting party now wears it. Only story I can tell is that 9 mule does and 1 buck trotted withing 5 yards of me when they were being drove out of the bush. I was kneeling on the ground where they came out with trees beind me. I was picked off in this while laying in the middle of a field too though so best if the terrain matches.

Mossy Oak Treestand (scent-lok) - last day of hunting season (nov.30) there was snow of course and I thought I would stick out like a sore thumb wearing a non-winter camo. I was walking along a field edge when a doe mule deer broke out of the bush and came jogging towards me along the same edge with a chasing buck behind her. I slowed my rate of walking but didn't really stop moving as I was looking for another buck I shot from my blind with my bow. The doe almost pushed me over when she went by and the big buck walked right through me. I had to step to the side so his rack didn't clothes-line me and I yelled "whoa whoa whoa!" when he was close. I close enough to find out that WAS the buck I shot earlier and I only hit meat on the upper back and he was still going strong. I am not sure if this tree-stand camo confuses their eyes into thinking they can run through me or if they were just totally blinded by love, but what a strange experience.

I will be getting the Vertigo Tan camo for Christmas so I will test that out for next year. I wanted Vertigo Grey but I read a review that said the contrast is so extreme that you stick out when you move. We'll see I guess.

I also want to find out how MulitCam works as it seems like a very universal camo.