Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What do you do to stay sharp in offseason? >

What do you do to stay sharp in offseason?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you do to stay sharp in offseason?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default What do you do to stay sharp in offseason?

I've only got a lane of about 10 yards in my basement. I shoot maybe 20 arrows a week. I've been making up different games, like shooting a paper receipt once, pulling out the arrow, and then trying to shoot an arrow through the hole I first shot, things like that. I live a good distance from video archery, etc, so I'm just trying to stay sharp by making difficult shots at short distances. What's your routine?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

shoot whenever possible and as much as possible! whether it is in a basement, going to archery shops, or whatever! i late season bow....so i still go outside and shoot w/ low temps.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always liked archery and shot a lot of field, 3D, and target competitions over the last 36 years. I like shooting a bow, trying to get better at mastering my mind and body. Learning how to set up and tune equipment. Trying new things to see if they will work for me.

To that tune I have to say that HUNTING season is the off-season for me. It's when I don't get to shoot as much as I like. In fact, as I get older I don't shoot nearly as much as I once did and I still manage about 8,000 shots a year.

I have always loved hunting. In fact it's one thing stated about me in my high shcool yearbook. But archery is not a sport to me. It's a passion.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

After that post I am going to look like a huge slacker.

I don't do anything in the off season to stay sharp. Shooting a compound aint that big a deal to me.

But I will continue to practice with my longbow, at least having a smooth release. THAT takes a lot of work for me to even remotely have any confidence in shooting it.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

bow leagues... sharpen my bow skills, but hardens the liver
Old 12-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usually go to my local pro-shop, im in a video shoot league during the winter, if its a nice day i go outside and do alittle shooting.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't have access to farther ranges, then atleast the close up work allows you to keep muscle memory.... thats just as important! Keep it up.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

video league is cool, a few of my pals and i get together after football season and shoot sunday afternoons 3D outside...it is fun in the snow

i also shoot at least once a week, more in the spring and summer (only when the fly rod is out of reach )
Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't practice much at all. Go hard on it right before turkey season then again before deer season. Once my sights are on and I'm shooting consistant then I'm ready. Shooting at a target is different than an animal. You never have the heartbeat factor involved.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Starting in Feb, I shoot indoor 3D two nights a week and one outdoor 3D almost every Sunday. Between now and then, I will be working on getting my new bow (Alphaburner) setup and ready to go.

I also do a lot of shooting my basement, which is only 13 yards. It is a great distance to do some blind bail shooting to get your release down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.