Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Broken Tine on a Deer You Have Killed >

Broken Tine on a Deer You Have Killed

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broken Tine on a Deer You Have Killed

Old 12-13-2009, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Broken Tine on a Deer You Have Killed

Just curious about your guys opinions. If you killed a beautiful typical 10pt buck and it had a broken tine (right at the base). would you leave as it was to be mounted or get the taxidermist to re-create the point?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

leave it as it is... thats how you shot it, if you didnt like that it had a broken tine dont shoot it and hope that you see him next year
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

This is what happened to me last year. I knew exactly how many points and how long they were by all the trail cam pics i had. When i finally shot the ol boy he had broken off his g3 and a few other random points taking him from a 19 pointer to a 16 pointer. If i would have had to taxi add those points then he would have easily made P&Y non typical but thats not how i shot him. I think the broken tines and stickers gives him character (like he didnt already have enough!)
Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd leave it as it was when I shot it. Although, if it had all the points but busted one off when the animal crashed into a tree after I shot it, I'd have that re-attached if I could find it.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you think it would look better then fix it. There's no shame in doing it. I would do it in a heartbeat if I wanted it to look like he did when he grew it. Some people get a piece of art restore or an antique restored...why not a deer rack. You are the one who has to look at it not someone else. It doesn't make someone more of a pure hunter for putting a broken rack on the wall. It should be a personal choice.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I would have left him laying there in the woods where I shot him. Let the creatures eat him since it was discovered he was less than perfect.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leave it, I don't believe that a set of hunter killed antlers should be altered. About the only way I would accept antler repair would be IF something happened AFTER you shot the buck that caused the antlers to break... like smashing into a tree or something. Other than that, leave 'em alone, in my humble opinion.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

I have the same issue this year. My buck had three points on each side, on the end of each beam. Looked like a tripod stand. He broke one off about 3 inches long. I may have it fixed just because it's different, plus first I am having mounted. Every deer is a trophy and I don't think it matters what you do, its a personal prefrence. I'm not entering him in any contest. Nothing wrong honoring that buck for all he was at one time either ; )
Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Howler
I'd leave it as it was when I shot it. Although, if it had all the points but busted one off when the animal crashed into a tree after I shot it, I'd have that re-attached if I could find it.
Same here.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rob/PA Bowyer
Same here.
thanks guys, i didnt personally kill this buck but a close family member did and we were discussing this topic. not sure yet which way he decided. i personally agree with leave it like it is unless he busted it off on the tree crashing into it scenario but to each his own. i dont think he even recognized it being broken off before he shot the buck. i will try to get a digital pic and post up of the buck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.