Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
wierd ( shot placement ) >

wierd ( shot placement )

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wierd ( shot placement )

Old 12-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, that's the Bow I want right there! Good job.....
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

from the ground, id definitely say that atleast nicked the spine...like MichaelP said, it sits MUCH lower over the vitals than most would ever guess...there is ALOT of bone and muscle above the vitals and spine...that 5-8" is the infamous "void" that alot of guys will swear up and down is between the lungs and spine as most hunters dont realize how low the spine sits over the vitals...smack a deer there and you'll get a few inches of penetration and a so-so blood trail for 200yds or so and thats that...

took me a while to do the research, but after loosing a deer that looked hit PERFECT, i found out how low the spine sits over the vitals...and had GREAT pics to show it...but lost that link...
Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 125py
not a spine shot......there is a place in there with a lot of nerves that if you hit just right it will drop them every time
I guarantee this was a spine shot. I cleaned the animal I would know. It was dead smack in the spine. Just a tad to the lower end of it.
I shoud have took a pic of the inside.

More like one blade knicked the cavity

Last edited by zrexpilot; 12-20-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

bizarre, wouldn't think that was a spine shot in a million years
Old 12-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

zrex
I've unintentionally spined my share of deer, but I would have never guessed that you spined that doe. Is there an outside chance that the arrow deflected up?

-fsh
Old 12-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by fshafly2
zrex
I've unintentionally spined my share of deer, but I would have never guessed that you spined that doe. Is there an outside chance that the arrow deflected up?

-fsh

Hmmm...I didnt think of that
Old 12-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had a similar shot and when my aluminum arrow snapped in half from the deer jumping it must have cut something important to paralyze the deer...
Attached Thumbnails wierd ( shot placement )-58_6272003234051.jpg  

Last edited by Edcyclopedia; 12-20-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice bow, i got winners choice strings too, in the same color combo on my mission, theyre awesome. I got the same rifle as your buddy there too.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fshafly2
zrex

-fsh
straight threw, I didnt get a complete pass through but the broadhead was just barely sticking out the other side, roughly the exact same spot on the other side.
Kinda weird, guess this deer had a small chest or something.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Good lesson, shoot about 4 inches back from where you hit. I can't find a good picture on the net to post here but the cervical vertbrae in the neck drop down and are very low toward the front of the chest cavity. Looks to me this is where you hit this deer.

The picture is deceiving because of how the deer is laying in the photo. The head is pushed back and the fore limb is pushed forward. This hole would appear to be in a different place were that deer standing. Topographical anatomy is very importatant, anatomy related to looking at the outside of the animal. It is much different than a dead deer hanging in a tree being skinned and cut up.

The vertebrae are much lower than most people think. The farther toward the front of the deer the lower they are located. They come down off the skull and are almost at the lowest point in the neck where the chest cavity starts. When they enter the chest and become the thoracic vetebrae they actually curve back up toward the topline of the deer.