Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Will screw in steps kill... >

Will screw in steps kill...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will screw in steps kill...

Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will screw in steps kill...

Will screw in steps kill a tree? The reason I ask is because I would rather use a lock on stand than a ladder stand, but I only have one tree big enough where I want to hang the stand and I dont want to kill it. I already have the screw in steps so I dont want to buy any climbing sticks or that sort of thing.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

My Dad has had screw in steps in three or four of our stands for every bit of 15 years, and I don't think the tree has noticed yet. Givin that your not screwing them into a really small diameter tree, which would be pointless IMO, I would think your good.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

I think certain tree yes. But not all.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

No. I know a guy who's been using screw in steps for the same about 15 years and he's never had a problem with the tree. Drops acorns every year. Usually pretty dang heavy also.

Ryan.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Spike

Been wondering about this myself. Also, do you take them out each year, or leave them in? And if you leave them in how long does it take before they rot in two. The last thing I want to do is step on a step that breaks under my foot.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

It won't kill a tree, and if you leave the steps in for a long period of time the steps will actually get harder to unscrew out of the tree. Actually, doesn't take but about one season for the steps to get harder to remove.
Will the steps eventually rot, probably. BUT it'll take many years for that to happen.
One thing I do to make them easier to screw in is to use a short piece of 1/2" pvc pipe that I slip over the step and this allows the step to rotate easily while I have some thing to hang onto firmly as I screw them in.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

They will damage the value of any tree that may be cut for lumber - especially veneers.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, that's true however most of the trees that they use for veneers they also have to make about 45 passes around before it will make the tree square enough that it will peel a long piece, just think about all the times you've missed a deer with a gun. That's as bad or worse because you can remove the steps, the bullett you can't.
I wouldn't worry about damaging the trees.

Ryan.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used screw in tree steps for many years. I have never seen them kill a tree. When you go back the next year to put them in, the old hole from the step is closed up.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

Screw in steps can harm a tree, it depends if you own it or not. What I have found is that timber owners are protective of there trees!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.