Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Missed a Coyote, Found a Rob Buck. >

Missed a Coyote, Found a Rob Buck.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missed a Coyote, Found a Rob Buck.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

any evidence it been shot? i have heard of perfectly healthy deer dying in a corn field next to a stream, thought to be worn out (to death) from chasing during the rut....maybe this is what happened...

anyway a 4X1 is really unique, i havnt ever seen one alive...sorry bout the yote, he will be back in a lil bit, another shot maybe?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

cool pics rob and weird buck...looks like the base of the one main beam had some mass, perhaps damaged during velvet or something
Old 12-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL rob, you never disappoint
Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Rob, great story and pix. too bad about missing the coyote and the deer. years ago i shot a 'bou that would qualify as a Rob 'Bou. i call it "my half book bou"

one of my prize trophies

Last edited by AK NIMROD; 12-08-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, nice story. I see you are hunting with the bow. Been doing the same thing this rifle season in PA. I've seen 4 bucks and 11 doe in 4 days of hunting. Had I had the rifle, it would have been easy, but I love the challenge. Good luck
Old 12-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

by the looks of the pics, I would say he had some kind of disease and was vulnerable...I know the coyotes are able to grab a deer, but that rack looks bad and I would guess it was sick...

cool story tho
Old 12-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Rob,
Looks a little bit like the one I found last week. Walking back to truck I seen it buried in some grass. Most of the other bones were there too. Nice bases/brows on this one. unfortunatley the squirrels/rats had worked on the one side. Must of happened last year?
Attached Thumbnails Missed a Coyote, Found a Rob Buck.-half-rack.jpg   Missed a Coyote, Found a Rob Buck.-halfrack-two.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cwanty03
neat story...
Thank you.

Originally Posted by early in
Rob, you never disappoint!
I try.

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
cool pix! always sucks to loose a buck on your property but that weird racked animal doesn't hurt as bad. lol !
Well, it's hard to say what he'd ever be. Was it an injury or would he always be a Rob buck? More texts to my cousin might have revealed that it might be his that he hit early in the year.

Originally Posted by my7pointmonster
Rob...... You have some of the craziest hunts out of anyone I know.... That's a good problem to have. congrats on the great hunt and you have some crazy memories, sucks you didn't get the coyote.

Ryan.
Thanks Ryan, I love my hunts. It's just a matter of being out there.

Originally Posted by GreatHunterWannabe
4x1 is strange, you gonna take in the rack?
You think a 4 x 1 is strange? Don't you know what a Rob buck is?

Originally Posted by Brett/IL
As I wrote in my text, I hate that you found a dead buck on your hunting ground. Are you allowed, legally speaking, to take the rack or skull for a plaque/euro mount?

It is very cool that you mouth squeaked a coyote to you on the ground and got a shot off with your bow. I have killed a few with a bow, but all have been out of a tree stand. It would be quite a rush to shoot one off of the ground with a bow!
I've killed one coyote with my bow, one with a rifle and one turkey hunting with my shotgun. Now I'm 3-4.

From what I gather, this would be treated as a shed. I know we cannot pick up road kills but we can pick up sheds and found skulls. This I would treat as a found skull/ shed.

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter
very unique looking rack. nice find..
Thanks, go figure huh?

Originally Posted by 7VALLEYS
Pretty cool story Rob. Good to know you are still after them with the bow.
Was out tonight again. No deer but I saw my 3 legged momma bear and her 2 cubs.

Originally Posted by HuntingBry
What is it with your property? LOL
Just lucky I guess.

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
any evidence it been shot? i have heard of perfectly healthy deer dying in a corn field next to a stream, thought to be worn out (to death) from chasing during the rut....maybe this is what happened...

anyway a 4X1 is really unique, i havnt ever seen one alive...sorry bout the yote, he will be back in a lil bit, another shot maybe?
See Rob bucks above, that's how they got their name. And I know my cousin shot one earlier in the season but he thought it was an 8. I text him some pics and he thinks maybe this might be him.

Originally Posted by bowfly
cool pics rob and weird buck...looks like the base of the one main beam had some mass, perhaps damaged during velvet or something
That's what I'm wondering but alas, we'll never know.

Originally Posted by MOhunter46
LOL rob, you never disappoint
I try.

Originally Posted by AK NIMROD
Rob, great story and pix. too bad about missing the coyote and the deer. years ago i shot a 'bou that would qualify as a Rob 'Bou. i call it "my half book bou"

one of my prize trophies
A "Rob bou". I love it. !

Originally Posted by Pops423
Rob, nice story. I see you are hunting with the bow. Been doing the same thing this rifle season in PA. I've seen 4 bucks and 11 doe in 4 days of hunting. Had I had the rifle, it would have been easy, but I love the challenge. Good luck
Good luck Pops, I was out again tonight. One never knows. Didn't see any deer but I saw bears again. They deer are there, I'm up against standing corn and pressured deer now. We'll see.

Originally Posted by mission17
by the looks of the pics, I would say he had some kind of disease and was vulnerable...I know the coyotes are able to grab a deer, but that rack looks bad and I would guess it was sick...

cool story tho
Not sure about that. I think it was a kill.

Originally Posted by crutch
Rob,
Looks a little bit like the one I found last week. Walking back to truck I seen it buried in some grass. Most of the other bones were there too. Nice bases/brows on this one. unfortunatley the squirrels/rats had worked on the one side. Must of happened last year?
Shame. However, if it is my cousins, at least there's closure. Not sure I'll let him have the antlers though, he didn't get them, not sure if he deserves them. I know he said he took a bad shot into the corn. That pissed me off. I haven't recovered them yet.

Last edited by Rob/PA Bowyer; 12-08-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Damn Rob what is up with those bucks on your property, certainly got some different racks. Hopefully you get some closure on the buck and too bad you didnt get the coyote but must of been a great experience. you will get him next time. good luck
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rob, I'm doing the same. Hunting a small patch of woods about 45 yards wide between an overgrown apple orchard and standing corn. It sits right behind my house on an old 25 acre farm. No other pressure but me and the neighbors dog so they feel pretty safe. We will see what happens tonight.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.